It’s time for another edition of our Apps of the Week roundup. This week we have a powerful event widget, an awesome (wink) audio news app, and a new mobile-first podcast platform. And as always, we have a great new game for you to check out.
I’m a sucker for a sharp-looking widget, so naturally Countdown caught my eye. With a design inspired by NASA missions, this widget is highly customizable and far more capable than it looks with a powerful event editor and machine learning tech.
Since I’m often critical of apps with bad names, I’d like to take this moment to highlight this app with an awesome name. It’s Ausum, get it? Anyway it’s a news app that turns articles, blog posts and newsletters into short audio summaries. You’re guaranteed to learn something new in less than 3 minutes.
Auledge: Podcasting for All
Yeah, we won’t talk about this name. But the app itself looks great. It’s a mobile-first platform for creating and discovering new podcast content. There are 3 tentpole features: bite-sized—all audios are capped at 15-minutes, effortless—creating is super quick and simple, and discoverable—self explanatory.
Viking content is so hot right now, and Vikingard wants to fan the flames. It’s king of a cross-genre title with PVP and RPG elements. Collect and upgrade hundreds of animated heroes, go on voyages and explore the world. Join alliances, create romantic stories and raise heirs!
App-related news from this week
- Apple’s TV app is now available in hotel rooms with Philips MediaSuite TV sets
- Twitter search finally scours the content of your direct messages
- The price of your Netflix subscription may be going up, if it hasn’t already
- Instagram brings back chronological feed but continues to default to algorithmic sorting every time you launch the app
- Shazam now lets you explore upcoming live music shows, tickets on sale and more
- Why you can no longer buy or rent content in Apple’s TV app on Android and Google TV