In this post, we’re going to show you how to change the iMessage bubble colors on your iPhone or iPad.
iMessage is one of the main advantages of being part of the Apple ecosystem. The instant messaging service works across iOS, macOS, iPadOS, and watchOS, making it one of the obvious choices for Apple users. You can send messages, photos, videos, Animojis, GIFs, documents, etc., to anyone else using iMessage. It offers privacy with end-to-end encryption and delivery/read receipts.
However, iMessage still doesn’t offer the built-in option to customize the message bubble colors. But there is an app to do that!
Note: Although the post suggests that we’re changing the color of the iMessage bubble, we are actually sending colored images with text that resembles bubbles. It’s a workaround, but very cool!
How to change the iMessage bubble color
Those without a jailbroken device will have to look at third-party apps designed specifically for Apple’s Messages. Enter Color Text Bubbles on iMessage, a simple app that lets you change iMessage bubble color and add custom bubbles. The app is free to download on the App Store, however it hasn’t been updated in quite a while.
Here’s how to add color to iMessage bubbles and change them:
1) Download and install Color Text Bubbles from the App Store.
2) Open the iPhone Messages app.
3) Swipe left on the row of iMessage apps on the top of the keyboard and tap Color Text Bubbles.
4) Choose one of the suggestions or tap Type Custom Message.
5) Type what you want to say and then tap the tiny blue bubble.
6) Choose the color of the iMessage bubble you want to use, like yellow, green, pink, red, purple, orange, etc., and tap Send.
7) Finally, tap the blue send arrow button.
That’s it! The message will be sent in the selected color. Its chat bubble will be different than the regular dark blue iMessage color.
- You will see ads in the free version. Wait for a couple of seconds to see the second X button or Later to close the ad. Don’t tap the first X from the top right as it closes the app, not the ad.
- It works best with very small messages. If you type a long message, it might appear truncated from the ends, and the recipient will have to tap the message to read it.
The recipient should see your message in the bubble color you chose. You can also change the font size, font color, etc., using the same app. Some features require payment.
iMessage color bubbles
The Color Text Bubbles app is one of the best apps to change the iMessage bubble color or design. The ads in the free version are annoying, but the app overall is efficient and works great. If you like it, you can upgrade to the paid version to remove ads and unlock more features. However, note that the app hasn’t been updated in a few years!
Check out next: