As we charge ahead to September, and Apple’s expected release dates for updates to its major platforms, we’re still in the beta testing phase. Today, the company is moving right along with that plan, preparing the prerelease software ahead of its global, public launch later this year.
Update (11/11/2021): Apple has issued the corresponding public betas of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15. If you are part of the public beta program, you can download and install the newest version of the prerelease software via the Software Update tool in the Settings app. If you are not part of the program, you can sign up from Apple’s website.
The original article continues below.
Apple on Tuesday officially seeded the fifth betas of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 to developers. As is par for the course, this is software that should not be installed on daily drivers, as it’s potentially still a little rough around the edges. But, for registered developers, the new betas will make it possible to keep testing the platform, and their apps, ahead of the wide launch later this year.
This is two weeks after Apple seeded the fourth betas of the prerelease software to developers.
Resource: How to install the iOS 15 beta
- FaceTime sees major improvements, including SharePlay and updates to video and audio.
- Apple updates Notifications to give even more granular control, and updates the UI
- Messages gets even more collaborative with Shared With You
- Safari gets a new Tab experience
- The Photos app now supports Live Text, which can be searched for and directly interacted with
- Spotlight gets improvements, can be used to find Live Text in Photos
- AirPods Pro and AirPods Max get better Find My support
- Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos launch in Apple Music
- And much more
- Split View and a new Shelf make multitasking easier on iPadOS
- There are several new keyboard shortcuts available
- Widgets get a new size option, and the ability to place on the Home Screen
- The App Library is available
- And more
Apple also seeded the fifth beta of tvOS 15 to developers.
The latest betas are available now.