Apple today celebrated fifteen of the App Store apps and games for the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV and Apple Watch devices that inspired the world in 2020. And in doing so, it also introduced a physical award in form of an App Store icon made from 100 percent recycled aluminum, with the winner’s name engraved on the other side.
To commemorate these 15 apps, Apple designers brought meticulous craftsmanship to create the first-ever physical App Store award. Inspired by the signature blue App Store icon, each award reveals the App Store logo set into 100 percent recycled aluminum with diamond-cut edges, with the name of the winner engraved on the other side.
And this is what it looks like.
Apple’s picks for the best apps and games of 2020 across the iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS platforms included the following titles:
- iPhone App of the Year: Wakeout!, developed by Andres Canella
- iPhone Game of the Year: “Genshin Impact,” from miHoYo
- iPad App of the Year: Zoom
- iPad Game of the Year: “Legends of Runeterra,” from Riot Games
- Mac App of the Year: Fantastical, developed by Flexibits
- Mac Game of the Year: “Disco Elysium,” from ZA/UM
- Apple TV App of the Year: Disney+
- Apple TV Game of the Year: “Dandara Trials of Fear,” from Raw Fury
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Endel
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: “Sneaky Sasquatch,” from RAC7
In addition to these ten choices, Apple has recognized five major apps that led a trend towards helpfulness: the meditation app Shine, whiteboarding app Everything Whiteboard, kid-focused messaging app Caribu, augmented reality game Pokémon Go and charity app ShareTheMeal.
The aforementioned titles are all Apple’s discretionary picks for what it thinks are the best App Store releases in 2020. In terms of the number of downloads, you can browse the top 20 most downloaded free and paid apps and games on the App Store.