With iOS 14, Apple welcomed a more robust widget experience for the mobile operating system. And now that the software is out there in the wild, more developers are adopting the feature support for their apps.
And today, that growing list of support now includes Spotify. With the latest update, which brings the streaming app’s version number 8.5.80, you can now access a widget for Spotify. There are two options at the time of publication: small and medium. That means you can’t choose a large widget for the app just yet, but Spotify may add that option at a later date.
As is par for the course with widgets in iOS 14, this is just a shortcut to Spotify’s core functionality. You won’t be able to add media playback controls or anything like that. The widgets will simply give you an easy way to jump back into something you were listening to previously. It works pretty much the exact same way as Apple Music‘s own widget.
To add the Spotify widget on your Home Screen, follow these instructions:
- Make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of the app, and make sure to open the app at least once after the update has installed
- Touch and hold an open area or a widget on the Home Screen until the app icons/widgets start jiggling
- Select the Add button (+) on the top-left corner of the screen
- Find the Spotify widget in the available list and select it
- Choose either the small widget or the medium widget and choose “Add Widget”
- Place the widget where you want on the Home Screen then choose “Done” in the top-right corner of the display
It’s good to see so many apps adopting the widget support in iOS 14.