Whether you’re a fan of Google Maps instead of or in addition to Apple Maps, it’s good to know tricks for using it that make it easy to find what you need. And one feature of Google Maps that can help you find businesses, attractions, and activities is the filter option.
Depending on the type location you’re searching for, you can filter by hours, price, rating, or cuisine. So if you want to find an affordable pizza place open right now or a nearby gas station open 24 hours, filters can help. Here, we’ll show you how to use filters to find locations in Google Maps on the web and iOS.
Google Maps filters on the web
You can access Google Maps on any browser, so you if you don’t have your iPhone handy, you can still find the spots you want.
1) Head to the Google Maps website and if necessary, click the arrow on the left to open the Side Panel.
2) Choose one of the suggested locations from Search in this area and remember you can click More for other types of businesses. Or enter a keyword into the Search Google Maps box at the top.
3) Once you choose the type of location or receive search results, common filters are displayed at the top. For instance, if you search for “restaurants” you’ll see filters for price, rating, cuisine, and hours.
Click one or more of these filters and select the filter option(s). The more filters you apply, the narrower your results will become.
Some types of business will offer additional filters; a good example is a hotel. You’ll immediately see the common filters like guest rating and brand. But if you click More filters, you can select rating, hotel class, and amenities.
If you use the options in the More filters section, just be sure to click Done at the top once you make your selections. You’ll then see those narrowed down results. And you can click Clear > Done to remove the filters you add as well.
Google Maps filters on iPhone and iPad
If you’re on your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Maps app or the Google Maps website in your browser.
1) Like the steps above, start by selecting a business from the top like Takeout, Delivery, or Gas. Alternatively, enter the type of spot you want into the Search box or swipe up to see Explore nearby businesses.
2) You’ll see those common filters pop up at the top and you may some in the Google Maps app that you don’t see on the web like Good for kids, Visited, or Top rated.
3) If a filter offers options, like price range, you’ll see the options display and can make your choice. Tap Done to apply the filter.
To view filters you apply, tap the Filters button the far left of that row. Here you can tap Clear > Apply to remove all filters or add more and tap Apply.
Like on the website, you have a More filters option. Swipe all the way to the right of the filters row and tap More filters. Make your selections from the additional options and tap Apply. You can also Clear your filters here.
Wrapping it up
Any time you’re searching for something, whether it be a location in Google Maps or a picture in the Photos app, filters are wonderful tools for narrowing down your results.
Have you tried using filters in Google Maps to find spots you want to visit faster? If so and you have tips of your own you’d like to share, please comment below!