In a renewed vote of confidence in Apple’s smartwatch, the popular Transit app is back on the Cupertino company’s wearable platform. It also brings with it a few new features such as expanded trip information that now includes wheelchair accessibility information.
Following its re-release on App Store, Transit now highlights wheelchair-accessible trips and stops when you tap a trip in the trip planner. Other enhancements in this edition of Transit for iPhone and Apple Watch include future arrivals and a map indicating where to go.
With Transit, you can view your bus and metro times on the wrist like a boss.
According to Engadget, the app has been rewritten to take advantage of modern technologies built into Apple’s latest watchOS 6 software update. And because the popular public transportation software is now a native app, it’s a lot faster and way more nimble than before.
Some features continue to rely on your iPhone, however, like directions and Uber hailing.
First California city to sell bus tickets in Transit!!! It's the ever-🅱️🅱️🅱️eautiful Santa Monica.
— Transit (@transitapp) November 12, 2019
Taking advantage of the GPS in your Apple Watch and iPhone, Transit helps you navigate your city’s public transit system with real-time predictions, step-by-step navigation, service disruption notifications, departure and stop reminders and much more.
Here are 10 cool things you can do with Transit:
- See real-time arrivals for nearby buses and trains instantly upon launch.
- Watch your transit vehicle approaching on a map in real-time.
- Compare options with powerful A to B trip plans using real-time data.
- Launch GO for step-by-step navigation when you’re on an unfamiliar route or want to nap/read/space out.
- Receive departure alarms, stop notifications and prompts to pick up the pace in GO.
- Get push notifications if service disruptions will affect your commute.
- Plan trips, view transit schedules and get route itineraries—even when you’re offline.
- Locate bike share stations, see the number of bikes available, pay for passes, and unlock bikes (in select cities).
- Check ETA (and price) for nearby Uber, Lyft and VIA rides, and book in two taps.
- Easily plan and pay for a trip combining Uber, Lyft or VIA with transit.