You can use apps to virtually travel across the state, country, or world so why not use them to travel to outer space? If you are fascinated with astronomy or are just starting to become interested, there are some terrific tools for your iPhone that let explore our galaxy and beyond.
See the stars, watch the planet align, get details about constellations, and more. These are the best iPhone apps for astronomy and exploring space.
Who better to take us on a walk through space than NASA. The NASA app gives you news, images, videos, and TV and audio to keep you abreast of our missions and explorations.
NASA notable features:
- Check out news stories and share them easily.
- View amazing images from space and mark your favorites.
- Watch 4K and 360-degree videos that make you feel like you’re right there.
- View the launch schedule, see sighting opportunities, and get full details of missions.
The NASA app lets you receive notifications for events, the image of the day, and the astronomy picture of the day so you always know there’s something new waiting for you. For great views and space news, the NASA app is a terrific one to have.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Kindle Fire, Fire TV, Roku, and the web
- Cost: Free
Star Walk 2 Ads+: Sky Map AR
Let Star Walk 2 access your location and then hold your iPhone up to the sky. You’ll see the constellations, planets, and other celestial objects plotted and labeled for you to view as you move your device.
Star Walk 2 notable features:
- Search for specific objects like constellations, planets, and satellites.
- Pinch to zoom in and out for spectacular views of the stars.
- Use the Sky Live feature to see locations of the planets, sun, and moon and tap to move forward to the upcoming days.
- Receive notifications for events and when the International Space Station is overhead.
Star Walk 2 is a fun app to use for seeing what’s above you at any moment. The ads in the free version can be distracting, so if you enjoy the app, consider upgrading.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Android, and Windows
- Cost: Free with a paid version that removes the ads and offers additional features and content
Star Chart is similar to Star Walk 2 in that once you allow your location, you can move your device toward the sky to see the constellations and other objects.
Star Chart notable features:
- Search for specific objects like planets, stars, constellations, and Messiers and then view their locations.
- Pinch to zoom in and out for closers views.
- Check out the calendar for upcoming events.
- Use the app with AR mode enabled or disabled.
For another cool app that lets you view cosmic objects directly above and around you, Star Chart is a good tool without ads.
- Availability: iPhone and iPad
- Cost: Free with in-app purchases for specific events and more content.
With SkySafari, you get a nice sky map with subtle music as you view constellations, planets, and more. You can adjust the app settings for the exact type of view you want for the sky and the objects you see.
SkySafari notable features:
- Search for distinctive objects like the brightest stars or comets along with common ones like the planets and sun.
- Tap to get details on an object or center it on the screen.
- Move forward in time and watch the objects move to the locations they’ll be in.
- Use AR mode and the compass for another way to view.
SkySafari is similar to other apps but offers a more unique experience with great details for the objects you see in the sky.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch
- Cost: Free with in-app purchases for the Cosmos Collection and Orbit Mode.
Wrapping up these iPhone astronomy apps
For those who find the sun and moon, stars and constellations, planets and other objects interesting and want to learn more, these astronomy apps for iPhone are ideal.
Are you going to use one of these to explore space? Or maybe you use a different one with great features that you’d like to recommend? If so, please share in the comments below so we can check it out!