With the release of iOS 12, came a great update to the AutoFill Passwords feature. The enhancement lets users with third-party password managers that integrate with the feature log into apps and sites much faster. You can check out our tutorial on how to use the updated feature on your iPhone and iPad.
But, the feature goes one step further with the tvOS 12 update. You can use AutoFill Passwords to log into apps on your Apple TV, straight from your iPhone or iPad.
Curious? Here’s how to use that AutoFill Passwords feature on your Apple TV.
Using the AutoFill Passwords feature on Apple TV
When you open an app on your Apple TV that requires you to log in, you can do so quickly with AutoFill Passwords from your iPhone or iPad.
1) Open the app on your Apple TV. In our example, we used Netflix.
2) When you get to the login and/or password screen, you should see a notification on your iPhone or iPad.
3) Tap the notification and to open the keyboard and password screen.
4) Click the AutoFill Passwords option in your QuickType bar and your password should pop into the app on your Apple TV.
Keep in mind that if you have both iCloud Keychain and your third-party password manager set up for AutoFill Passwords on iOS, you may have to choose which one to use for the login.
If you are not getting the notification on your iPhone or iPad for the AutoFill Passwords feature, here are a couple of things to check before heading to Apple Support.
Make sure your Apple TV is up to date
First, open your Apple TV Settings app to confirm you are running the latest version of tvOS.
1) Click General.
2) Click About.
3) Check that the tvOS section shows version 12.0 or later.
If you have an older version of tvOS, you can update it quickly.
1) Head back to the main Settings screen.
2) Click System.
3) Click Software Updates.
4) Click Update Software.
5) If an update is available, you will be prompted to install it on the next screen. Click Download and Install.
Make sure Apple TV keyboard notifications are enabled
Open your Settings on iPhone or iPad and follow these steps:
1) Tap Notifications.
2) Scroll down to and select Apple TV Keyboard.
3) Make sure the slider for Allow Notifications is enabled (green).
Wrapping it up
As an Apple TV owner, you know that entering passwords can be cumbersome depending on the method you use. Whether it’s using the Siri remote, Apple TV Keyboard on your device, or whatever. So, the AutoFill Passwords integration makes logging into apps on your Apple TV much simpler. Have you tried this feature yet it?