Amazon today began rolling out a revamped mobile Kindle app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with Goodreads integration, an iOS exclusive at launch, a brand new Community tab, your choice between dark or light theme and other perks.
The Kindle app’s brand new look is built around the books you love, with one-tap navigation to the things you use most, including your most recent book. And with Goodreads built into Kindle, you can now discover and discuss books with friends, authors and the community.
The app features a built-in newsfeed allowing you to discover what the readers you trust are reviewing and rating highly to help you find your next great read. You can also discuss the books, passages and ideas with others using notes and highlights.
“Post notes and highlights from your book for friends to see and comment on,” says Amazon. “Easily share when you start reading a book, as well as your rating/review when you’ve finished a book.”
The video embedded below shows off the refreshed app.
Amazon says that the new Community tab lets you add books others are reading to your Want to Read list for quick reference.
To help you get recommendations from readers who like the same books, Goodreads also suggests people to follow, including authors and popular Goodreads reviewers.
Goodreads CEO Otis Chandler says book lovers trust their friends for recommendations, with around half of them saying they discover books through word-of-mouth.
Goodreads integration is US-only.
Key highlights of the app include:
- Sample any eBook for free
- Magazines, newspapers, graphic novels and textbooks with high-res color images
- A customizable reading experience with your choice of font style, size and more
- Comfortable reading day and night with adjustable screen brightness and page color
- Discover and download Kindle Unlimited eBooks and magazines
- Unique features like X-Ray, Whispersync, Page Flip, Print Replica, flashcards and more
- Instant translations and definitions, without leaving the page
- Ability to make and share in-page highlights
- Bold font and text size options
- Access to local library of eBooks