Your Twitter username, or Twitter handle, is basically your identity on the social network. This is how people can find you and send you messages, either with a public mention or via DM. As you grow with the times, you may come to a point where you want to change your existing username to something new.
Fortunately, Twitter makes it very easy for you to change your Twitter handle, and in this tutorial we’ll show you how to change it.
This process can be performed in a web browser on your computer, or in the mobile app on your iOS device(s). Neither way is very time-consuming, and we’ll show you the process for each in this piece.
How do I change my Twitter username from the app?
If you’re using the free Twitter app from the App Store for this tutorial, then follow these steps to change your Twitter username.
1) Launch the Twitter app from your Home screen.
2) Go down to and select Settings and privacy.
3) Choose Account.
4) Tap Username.
5) Enter your New username and then tap Done.
How do I change my Twitter handle from the website?
If you’re using a web browser for this tutorial, then follow these steps to change your Twitter username.
1) Launch your favorite web browser and sign into Twitter.
2) On the left side, click More (three dots) and select Settings and privacy.
3) Choose Account.
4) Pick Username.
5) Enter your new Username and then click Save.
And that’s all there is to it!
I can’t change to the username I want
If you’re having some trouble trying to change your username, keep in mind that there are a few rules you must follow:
- You can’t have the same username as someone else, so make sure it’s not already taken
- You can’t have a username with the word “Twitter” or “Tweet” in it, as this can make it look like you’re impersonating staff
- You can’t have more than 15 characters in a username
If you find that the username you want violates any of the above rules, then you’ll either have to keep what you have already or pick something else to use.
Now that you know how to change your username on Twitter, you can change that embarrassing one you set when you first signed up to something more presentable.
If you found this tutorial helpful, let us know by leaving a comment below!