Although Apple’s fourth-generation Apple TV was designed to just work, there are always going to be instances when a misbehaving app will need to be purged from the memory. And with the device’s ability to download third-party apps and games, more things can now go wrong than ever before.
Just like your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Mac, your Apple TV also lets you easily close a running app in order to free up system resources. In this tutorial, we’re going to show you how you can force-quit any app on the Apple TV 4 using your Siri Remote.
How to force-quit Apple TV app
Step 1: Press the Home button on the remote to return to the Apple TV’s Home screen.
Step 2: Now double press the Home button to invoke the app switcher.
Step 3: Highlight an app by swiping left and right on the remote’s Touch surface.
Step 4: Swipe up on the Touch surface to force-quit the selected app.
Step 5: To exit the app switcher and return to the Home screen, simply press the Home button on the remote.
Check out these tutorials that cover app force-quitting:
- How to force-quit apps on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
- How to force-quit Mac apps
- How to force-quit apps on Apple Watch
- Why you shouldn’t force-quit apps to save your iPhone’s battery
How to switch between apps on Apple TV
My colleague Jeff has written up a detailed tutorial on app switching on the new Apple TV, including how to switch between two apps repeatedly.
You might also like the following how-tos:
- How to adjust Siri Remote’s Touch surface sensitivity
- How to restart or put Apple TV into sleep or standby mode
- How to take screenshots on Apple TV with Xcode
- How to rename Apple TV
- How to disable password prompts for downloads on Apple TV
- How to switch between apps on Apple TV
- How to delete apps on Apple TV
- How to rearrange apps on Apple TV
- How to send video wirelessly from Mac to TV
- How to pair Bluetooth controller with Apple TV
- How to play classic Nintendo and Sega games on Apple TV
- How to use third-party remote to control Apple TV
Send us your own tips and tutorial ideas at [email protected].