AOL today refreshed its MapQuest mapping and GPS navigation app for iOS with several new features that elevate the experience, including in-route navigation improvements, tighter integration with Yelp data, the ability to buy tickets and send feedback in the app and more.
A clearer on-map directive will give you a heads-up on your next turn while the improved list view for your route now automatically scrolls turn-by-turn statements with your progress “so the next maneuver is always easy to see.”
As of this update, MapQuest also supports Yelp’s “Nice To Know” feature so you can learn more about points of interest. Just tap on a venue, then hit “More” and finally “Nice To Know” to learn about Wi-Fi availability, kid-friendly options, whether credit cards are accepted and more.
If a point of interest is a hotel, the app will now serve more additional handy tidbits, things like check-in and checkout times, room availability, amenities and more.
Next, you can view upcoming events at venues and buy tickets to them directly in the app. And as mentioned before, you can even book a reservation for a hotel right within the app.
MapQuest 4.7 for iOS:
- In-route navigation has never looked better! Get a heads-up on your next turn with a clearer on-map directive. In addition, the new and improved list view for your route automatically scrolls the now bolder turn-by-turn statements with your progress so the next maneuver is always easy to see.
- Knowledge is power! Learn more about a point of interest (POI) with the new, “Nice To Know” section from Yelp. Tap on a POI, then “more”, and “Nice To Know” on the POI details to expose information such as whether credit cards are accepted, wifi availability, ADA accessibility, kid-friendly options, and more.
- Make hotel booking a breeze. Simply select a hotel POI and tap “More…” to view amenities, check in/out times, availability, and book your stay directly from the app.
- Take a night off! View upcoming events at your favorite venues and buy tickets directly in our app.
- Can’t find what you’re searching for? Send us feedback directly from the search feature so we can improve your experience in the future.
- Make your MapQuest app ads-free in 2015! Renew or purchase for $3.99.
- We’re starting the new year off right with tons of squashed bugs and subtle enhancements. Enjoy!
Back in November, MapQuest got thoroughly revamped with iOS 7-friendly design, adding new features like high resolution vector maps, road alerts, traffic conditions on a route, layers for nearby gas stations and restaurants and so forth.
The 26-4-megabyte app works on any iPhone, iPod touch or iPad that supports iOS 7.0 or later.