Ahead of its big Xbox One launch later this week, Microsoft has released a new companion app for the console called ‘Xbox One SmartGlass.’ Microsoft says it’s “the perfect companion app for your Xbox One, both in your living room and on the go.”
In the living room, the app will allow your iOS device to connect to your Xbox One console and do things like browse the web, navigate the dashboard, and control content. And on the go, the app will let you track achievements, messages and more…
Here’s a breakdown of the app’s features:
– Navigate your Xbox One console using your device’s keyboard and touch
– Control your media and set top box with the SmartGlass remote control
– Browse the web on your TV using your mobile device
– Enhance what you are watching or playing with SmartGlass companions
– Increase performance with faster connections and reliability
– Search, browse, and pin content to play on your Xbox One console
– Track achievements, get game help, message friends, and watch game clips
And here’s Microsoft demonstrating the app:
Obviously, they’re using a Surface tablet in the video, so features may vary a little bit, but you get the idea. I would say that the new SmartGlass app looks very similar to the previous version (for the Xbox 360) and a lot like Sony’s PS4 companion app.
The Xbox One goes on sale this Friday, starting at $499. And if you’re planning on picking one up, you’ll definitely want to check out this app. You can download the Xbox One SmartGlass app from the App Store, for the iPhone and iPad, for free.
So, who’s getting an Xbox One?