This tutorial shows you how to delete your Instagram account permanently from your iPhone using the official Instagram app or a web browser.
Deleting vs. deactivating your account
Deleting your Instagram account is a permanent, irreversible action. However, if you only want to take a break from Instagram without losing your posts, you can disable your account temporarily. Disabling your Instagram account doesn’t delete any pictures, videos, Reels, comments, likes, etc., but hides them temporarily. This means they will not be visible until you reactivate your account by logging in with your username and password. You can also simply offload the Instagram app to cut down the annoyance.
What happens after you delete your Instagram account?
Deleting your Instagram (IG) account is a permanent action that has the following consequences:
- Your entire profile, all the photos, videos, and Reels in it will be removed after you delete your Instagram account. You can’t recover them. So, before proceeding you might want to download your Instagram Reels.
- If your Instagram posts are embedded on websites, they will not be accessible.
- All your IG followers will be removed. If you ever create a new account in the future, these people will have to find your new account and follow you again.
- Comments and likes you made on other IG posts will be removed.
How to deactivate your Instagram account
Here are the steps to deactivate your Instagram account from phone or computer:
- Log in to Instagram in a web browser using your account details.
- Tap your profile picture.
- Tap Edit Profile.
- From the bottom, tap Temporarily disable my account.
- Select a reason, enter your Instagram password, and tap Temporarily Disable Account.
How to delete your Instagram account
Download your Instagram data before deleting your account
As mentioned, all your IG data like photos, videos, profile pictures are permanently removed after you delete your Instagram account. If you like, you can download your entire Instagram data before proceeding.
From the iPhone app
Some users (usually with considerable followers and posts) see the option to delete their Instagram account inside the official Instagram app.
Here’s how to delete Instagram account permanently from the app:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Tap the three lines icon on the top and choose Settings.
- Tap Account.
- From here, tap Delete account.
- You can disable your Instagram account or delete it on the next screen.
From a web browser
Some users don’t have the option to delete their Instagram account using the official app on their phone. If you’re one of them, follow these steps to proceed.
Here’s how to delete your Instagram account permanently from any phone or computer:
- Visit the official Instagram delete page in any phone or computer browser.
- Login with the account you want to delete.
- Select the reason why you want to delete your Instagram account. Here, double-check the username to ensure you’re deleting the correct Instagram account.
- Enter your Instagram password to confirm.
- Finally, read the details and click Delete [your Instagram username].
How to cancel your account deletion
While following the steps to delete your Instagram account, you will see a deadline in bold letters. You have this 30-day window to change your mind and cancel your account deletion. Simply login to Instagram with your same username and password to cancel your account deletion request. If you fail to act within these 30 days, your account is deleted permanently.
Can I create a new Instagram account with the same username again?
Yes. After deleting your Instagram account, you can make a new account and use the same old username if someone else has not taken it already. You can even use the old username as a new username for one of your other existing Instagram accounts (as long as someone else hasn’t taken that username).
However, creating a new account with the same Instagram username will not bring back the followers, following list, posts, likes, comments, or anything else.
Can Instagram or someone else delete my account for me?
No. Instagram or some other third-party can’t delete your Instagram account. You must have your login details and use that to delete your IG account following the steps mentioned above.
Check out next: