At this year’s SXSW film festival happening next month, Apple will premiere four new shows that will be launching soon on Apple TV+, the streamer has confirmed.
- SXSW returns to an in-person event, and Apple TV+ will have a presence
- Apple TV+ will have four show premieres at this year’s film festival in March
- The new Apple TV+ film “Cha Cha Real Smooth” will be presented at SXSW
Four new Apple TV+ shows premiering at SXSW 2022
This year’s SXSW film festival returns to Austin, Texas from March 11-19, and Apple is on the headline schedule with its Apple TV+ service premiering four new shows at the festival. The streamer has confirmed in a press release on the Apple TV+ Press website that the following shows will debut at the preeminent festival:
- “WeCrashed”: A series based on the rise and fall of WeWork, starring Jared Leto and Anne Hathaway. The show is set for its debut at SXSW on Saturday, March 12 at the Paramount Theater. It will premiere globally on Apple TV+ with the first three episodes on Friday, March 18, followed by new weekly installments every Friday.
- “They Call Me Magic”: A docuseries about famous basketball player Earvin “Magic” Johnson. The docuseries will make its SXSW debut on March 12 at the Zach Theatre, with a screening of the first episode followed by a special conversation with Magic Johnson. All four parts of the show will begin streaming on Apple TV+ from April 22.
- “Shining Girls”: A thriller series that follows Kirby Mazrachi as a Chicago newspaper archivist whose journalistic ambitions were put on hold after enduring a traumatic assault. “Shining Girls” will host its premiere at SXSW on Sunday, March 13 at the Zach Theater, followed by a panel with star and executive producer Elisabeth Moss. The series will premiere on Apple TV+ on Friday, April 29 with the first three episodes, followed by one new episode weekly every Friday.
- “The Big Conn”: A docuseries from “McMillion$” filmmakers about a small country lawyer who pulled off the biggest social security fraud ever. The series will debut at SXSW with a screening of the first two episodes of the series on Wednesday, March 16 in the Paramount Theatre, followed by a Q&A with writer/directors James Lee Hernandez and Brian Lazarte. Streaming on Apple TV+ from May 5.
For further information, visit sxsw.com.
New Apple TV+ film “Cha Cha Real Smooth” debuting at SXSW
Aside from debuting the four new aforementioned series at SXSW, Apple TV+ will also premiere “Cha Cha Real Smooth” at the film festival. The film is being pitched as “a tale of unconventional love that brims with emotional honesty.”
The iPhone maker’s Original Films previously won out in a bidding war for “Cha Cha Real Smooth,” a Sundance favorite from writer and director Cooper Raiff. It’s interesting that Raiff also stars in “Cha Cha Real Smooth” alongside Dakota Johnson, Brad Garrett, Leslie Mann, and newcomers Vanessa Burghardt and Evan Assante.
Fresh out of college and without a clear life path going forward, 22-year-old Andrew is stuck back at home with his family in New Jersey. But if there’s one thing that belongs on his nonexistent résumé, it’s how to get a party started, which lands him the perfect job of motivational dancing at the bar and bat mitzvahs for his younger brother’s classmates. When Andrew befriends a local mom, Domino, and her daughter, Lola, he finally discovers a future he wants — even if it might not be his own.
There will be screening at SXSW on Friday, March 18 followed by a conversation with the cast and filmmakers.
Apple TV+ true crime docuseries “The Big Conn” coming
Apple also provided additional details about “The Big Conn,” one of the four major new shows premiering at SXSW. According to the show’s press release, this four-part documentary is about “the unbelievable true story” of attorney Eric C. Conn who defrauded the government over half a billion dollars in the largest Social Security fraud case in history.
The first two episodes of “The Big Conn” will debut at SXSW 2021 on Wednesday, March 16 in the Paramount Theatre, followed by a Q&A with writer/directors James Lee Hernandez and Brian Lazarte. Read: How to play something on Netflix that you might like
This could be one of the more important new series for Apple TV+ considering the company will augment the show with an official companion podcast, launching on Apple Podcasts, providing interviews and juicy details about Conn’s “con and outrageous lifestyle.” Both the series and the official podcast are set to debut globally on May 5.
This riveting series is created by James Lee Hernandez and Brian Lazarte, with FunMeter (“McMillion$”) attached to produce the show alongside executive producers Hernandez, Lazarte and Peter King. Matt Kaye and Shannon Pence will co-executive produce.