After weeks of beta testing, the day has finally arrived. The next update for iOS and iPadOS is now available to the public. Now, it’s not quite the big update we’re all waiting for — iOS 15 doesn’t arrive until this fall — but it’s certainly a noteworthy uptick in version number, at least.
Today, Apple released iOS 14.7 and iPadOS 14.7 to the public. As we’ve seen in the previous beta seeds, this is a relatively minor update in the grand scheme of things. However, it does add some new features to the mix for good measure. As is par for the course, the new software is available as a free update for eligible devices.
The new software is available now.
As far as what’s new, there were at least a couple of new things added. First, the new softwaresupports timer controls for the HomePod from within the Home app. And iOS 14.7 also adds air quality information to more countries within Apple’s stock Weather app.
Apple Card now supports combining credit limits and sharing one co-owned account with an Apple Card customer.
In addition to those changes, iOS 14.7 also welcomes official support for the brand new MagSafe Battery Pack that Apple launched earlier this month. That accessory supports the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. First orders should start arriving later this week.
iPhone 14.7 changelog
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe Battery Pack support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card Family adds the option to combine credit limits and share one co-owned account with an existing Apple Card user
- Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain
- Podcasts library allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
- Share playlist menu option missing in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may unexpectedly stop
- Battery service message that may have disappeared after reboot on some iPhone 11 models is restored
- Braille displays could show invalid information while composing Mail messages
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
Apple also released the next updates for watchOS and tvOS as well. watchOS 7.6 brings the smartwatch’s irregular heart rhythm and ECG to 30 new regions across the globe. Meanwhile, tvOS 14.7 is available now, too. That’s a minor update across the board for the Apple TV HD and the Apple TV 4K models.
Finally, Apple also released HomePod version 14.7 to the public as well. It’s a relatively minor update, but it does welcome the ability to edit timers set on the smart speaker directly from the Home app. It’s available now, for free.
iOS 14.7 and iPadOS 14.7 is available now. Aside from any minor changes to this version of iOS 14, it’s possible this could be the last major update to the mobile OS until iOS 15’s arrival this fall.