Apple has been seeding the next update for iOS and iPadOS for weeks. But now the company is on the cusp of a public launch.
Today, December 8, Apple officially seeded the release candidate (RC) for not only iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3, but also watchOS 7.2 and tvOS 14.3 to developers. These are the final builds for developers (and public beta testers) ahead of a public launch for these pieces of software. That suggests that Apple is ready to launch the updates to the public in the very near future.
It has been just over a month since Apple released iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 to the public.
For developers who already have the proper configuration profile downloaded on their test devices, the new software can be downloaded and installed as an over-the-air (OTA) update. The new software can also be downloaded directly from Apple’s Developer Center as well.
iOS 14.3 welcomes some new features to the mix, including the adoption of Apple’s ProRAW format for taking photos with the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max. The new software also supports setting Ecosia, a search engine that can be set as the default option within Safari that will see the company plant a tree when users do a search using the service.
iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3, along with watchOS 7.2 and tvOS 14.3, add support for the AirPods Max, which Apple launched today. iOS 14.3 also makes it easier to launch apps using custom app icons from the Home Screen.
The full changeling for iOS 14.3 is available just below.
– A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
– New Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV to browse Fitness+ workouts, trainers, and personalized recommendations
– Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
– Playlists curated by Fitness+ trainers to complement your workout
– Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
– High fidelity audio for rich sound
– Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
– Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
– Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
– Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
– Apple ProRAW photos can be captured on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
– Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
– Option to record video at 25 fps
– Mirror the front facing camera for still photos on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
– New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
– An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
– Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre, and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
– Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
– Support for launching App Clips by scanning Apple-designed App Clip Codes via Camera or from Control Center
– Ability to indicate pregnancy, lactation, or contraceptive use in Cycle Tracking in the Health app in order to better manage period and fertile window predictions
– Air quality data is now available in Weather, Maps, and Siri for locations in China mainland
– Air quality health recommendations are provided in Weather and Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
– Air quality data in Weather, Maps, and Siri reflects updated national scales for Germany and Mexico
Ecosia search engine option in Safari
This release also addresses the following issues:
– Some MMS messages may not be received
– Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message
– Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app
– App folders may fail to open
– Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work
– Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings
– MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power
– Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup
– The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
Are you looking forward to the launch of iOS 14.3?