Having spent months in limited preview since last November, Adobe’s new Photoshop Camera for iPhone and iPod touch is now available to download in the App Store free of charge, with an optional $2 per month upgrade for twenty gigabytes of cloud storage for syncing your shots.
Your new AI-powered camera
Powered by artificial intelligence, the software includes “tons of Insta-worthy lenses and filters inspired by your favorite artists and influencers”. You can also add a bunch of professional looking real-time Photoshop effects to a photograph before you even snap it.
The app isn’t optimized for iPads, unfortunately.
Because artificial intelligence understands what’s on your shot, the app is able to optimize a bunch of different settings for selfies, food images, scenery shots and so forth. Quick fixes like auto-tone and portrait control let you create great results with just a few taps.
For further information, read Adobe’s announcement post and the app’s official micro-site.
Photoshop Camera key features
Here’s an overview of the key features of the app:
- Fun with filters: Apply Photoshop filters and effects with just one tap. With over 80 custom filters, it’s easy to swap them in and out and save your favorites to use again and again. The filter library includes: Portrait, Studio Light, Bloom, Pop Art, Spectrum, Desync, Food, Scenery, Natural Skies, Analog, Night Shift, Comic Skies, Interstellar, Dreamcatcher, Celestial, Supersize, Double Expo, Prism, Color Echo, Mixed Media, Blue Skies, Artful and more.
- Real-time Photoshop effects: Take a better picture with the magic of Photoshop and AI-powered editing.
- Auto-tone: Photoshop Camera gets “real life” right with no more extreme differences between areas of brightness and shadow.
- Content-aware recommendations: Pick your shot and Photoshop Camera does the rest. It knows which effects to apply to get the best result, so there’s no more fuss when it comes to the right lighting and focus.
- Portrait controls: You get four effects for portraiture photography — Bokeh, Face Distance, Face Light and Face Relighting. The Face Light feature in Photoshop Camera optimizes for lighting, eliminating the appearance of any sharp shadows (read: no more under-eye bags). For group selfies, Photoshop Camera recognizes where each subject is positioned so there’s no more distortion. And the Boken feature makes it easy to quickly apply blurring effects.
- Influencer-inspired lenses: See yourself through the eyes of your favorite creators by using their custom-designed lenses. New lenses and effects are added all the time so there’s always something to discover.
- Built for social: Easily capture and share high-quality photos to your favorite social network. Use #photoshopcamera when you post and we might feature you on our social sites.
Photoshop Camera is a free download from the App Store.
The optional $2 per month in-app purchase enables 20GB of Creative Cloud storage.