Apple today released a massive update to its Logic Pro X for Mac software that brings a plethora of new features aimed at all musicians, including those producing electronic music. It’s the biggest update to Logic since the launch of Logic Pro X, the Cupertino giant said.
Introducing Logic Pro X 10.5
Logic Pro X 10.5 packs a professional version of Live Loops, a completely redesigned sampling workflow and new beat-making tools.
Susan Prescott, Apple’s vice president of Apps Product Marketing, was quoted as saying:
The Mac and Logic Pro X are essential tools used by the world’s top musicians and producers to create the music that we all love.
Logic Pro X 10.5 represents the biggest update to Logic since the launch of Logic Pro X, with powerful new tools that will inspire every artist — from those just getting started with Logic, to those already using it to produce Grammy Award-winning albums.
We can’t wait to hear what these artists create next.
The update brings too many changes and feature additions to mention here so we’re going to paste the official changelog right ahead.
Feel free to read Apple’s press release for a detailed overview of the update.
Logic Pro X 10.5 changelog
Here’s everything new, improved and fixed in Logic Pro X 10.5:
- Compose music by arranging and triggering cells in a grid using loops, samples and your recordings
- Perform and capture freeform arrangement ideas into the tracks area
- Add Remix FX to perform creative effects like filters, gates, repeaters and bitcrusher
- Use Logic Remote on your iPad or iPhone to perform Live Loops and Remix FX using Multi-Touch gestures to trigger several loops or effects simultaneously
- Create and edit sophisticated multi-sampled instruments using a drag and drop workflow
- New modern design provides synthesis, mapping, and zone editing in a single window interface
- Integrated zone editor offers detailed control over start, end and loop points
- Mapping editor enables fast and flexible assignment of samples across the keyboard
- Flex Time has been integrated into Sampler allowing sounds to be played at the same length, regardless of pitch
- Auto Sampler automates the process of converting MIDI-enabled hardware and software instruments into sampler instruments
- Supports all existing EXS24 instruments
- Import a single audio file to instantly build a playable sampled instrument
- Quick Sampler automatically identifies the root note, optimal loop points and matches your project tempo
- Use Slice mode to chop a vocal or drum sample into multiple slices that can be triggered on a keyboard
- Record live samples using a microphone, external hardware or from any track or bus
Drum Machine Designer
- Use Drum Machine Designer to build custom drum kits by dragging and organizing samples
- Directly access Quick Sampler or Drum Synth controls on any pad
- Easily assign any instrument or third-party plug-in to a pad
- Perform any sound chromatically to create bass lines or other melodic parts
- Build your own beats, melodies and effect automation using an interface inspired by classic drum machine workflows
- Create and edit patterns with discrete control over velocity, repeat, chance, offset, step rate, skip and tie for each row
- Use any patch as a sound source, including custom kits made with Quick Sampler and Drum Machine Designer
- Includes a library of over 150 rhythmic and melodic patterns
- Over 2,500 new loops in a variety of instruments and genres covering modern and classic hip-hop, electro house, reggaeton, future bass, techno and transition effects
- 17 Live Loops starter grids covering a range of electronic and hip-hop genres
- More than 70 new Drum Machine Designer kits
- Over 1,500 new patches
- Original multi-track project of Billie Eilish “Ocean Eyes”
- The Drum Synth plug-in generates synthesized kicks, snares, toms, and hi-hats with dedicated sound shaping controls
- Individual or multiple audio files or software instrument regions can be dragged into an empty track header to provide instant options for creating Sampler, Quick Sampler, Drum Machine Designer, or Alchemy instruments
- Multiple additional enhancements and stability improvements
Pricing and availability
Logic Pro X 10.5 is a free update for all existing users.
For further information and a free trial, visit the official Logic Pro website.