Downloadable content packs for Civilization VI are sold via the In-App Purchase mechanism, and boy are they pricey. As an example, the new Gathering Storm content pack that dropped a month ago is a $40 download. All of the other content packs are priced at $5 a pop, but there are nearly a dozen of them so it adds up pretty quickly.
That’s why Aspyr created this special giveaway for the iOS game consisting of six free content packs that will be released for download this month, as follows:
- December 18-20: Poland Civilization & Scenario Pack (regularly $5)
- December 20-22: Vikings Scenario (regularly $5)
- December 22-24: Australia Civilization & Scenario Pack (regularly $5)
- December 24-26: Persia and Macedon Civilization & Scenario Pack (regularly $9)
- December 26-28: Nubia Civilization & Scenario Pack (regularly $5)
- December 28-January 1: Khmer and Indonesia Civilization & Scenario Pack (regularly $9)
Simply launch the game on those dates and use its settings interface to download your freebies. Aspyr did a similar promotion around this time last year so if you missed that one be sure to set your reminders and grab all six content packs for free this time around.
Here’s an overview of the game’s key features:
- Expansive empires—See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
- Active research—Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment and discover new cultures.
- Dynamic diplomacy—Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life to late game alliances and negotiations.
- Combined arms—Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
- Local multiplayer—In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, you can cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
- A Civ for all players—Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
Interested in Gathering Storm, the second expansion to the game?
The world around you is more alive than ever before. Chart a path to victory for your people by developing new advanced technologies and engineering projects and negotiating with the global community in the World Congress on critical issues. The choices you make in the game will influence the world ecosystem and could impact the future of the entire planet.
Natural disasters like floods, storms and volcanoes can pillage or destroy your Improvements and Districts – but they may also refresh and enrich the lands after they pass. Experience eight new civilizations and nine new leaders. Seven new world wonders can be constructed, as well as a variety of new units, districts, buildings and improvements.
A $20 in-app purchase will upgrade to the full experience so that you can play past the 60 free moves. Keep in mind that the full game unlock does not support Family Sharing.
The game has been updated to support iPhone following its App Store debut.