If you’re a particularly popular person, then you might be used to having a slew of red notification badges staring back at you from your Home Screen. But with a new free jailbreak tweak called BetterBadges by iOS developer Orangebananaspy, you can customize the look and feel of your notification badges in exciting new ways.
In the screenshot examples above, you can see some of the ways BetterBadges sets itself apart from the stock notification badge style. Not only does it provide you with colorization options, but it also includes different shapes and sizes to augment the aesthetic, especially if you happen to use a theme on your jailbroken handset.
BetterBadges adds a preference pane to the Settings app where you can set up the ideal look and feel for your notification badges:
Here, you can:
- Toggle the tweak on or off on demand
- Hide or show app badges on demand with a swipe on the icon with ‘Better Mode’
- Configure notification badges to match the application icon color
- Configure a background blur
- Enable or disable a notification badge border
- Choose between circular or rounded notification badge styles
- Configure custom notification badge background, text, and border colors
The ‘Better Mode’ that comes bundled with BetterBadges is particularly innovative because you can hide or show banner notifications on demand with a simple swipe on the respective app icon. When hidden, badges are still visible behind the icon, but only barely as depicted in the screenshot examples.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a new notification badge experience on iOS, then BetterBadges has you covered. It’s available as a free download from Cydia’s BigBoss repository and works with all jailbroken iOS 7-11 handsets.
How have you customized your notification badges with BetterBadges? Let us know in the comments section below.