With so much going on in our busy lives, it can be hard to keep up. This is how a task list app can help. You can track your to-dos for work, home, or personal tasks and mark them off as you complete them.
Finding a task list app for iOS that has the features you need can be challenging, especially if you are looking for one that doesn’t cost a penny. Here are three of the best free task list apps for iOS.
Criteria and Features
Below are just some of the things we looked for when creating this list of free task list apps.
- Intuitive interface: With any app that is supposed to make life easier, an interface that’s simple to use is essential. You want a clean and clear way to add tasks and see what’s on your plate.
- Flexible tasks: Whether it’s to-dos that repeat, can carry a priority, or include reminders, flexibility when setting up tasks can ensure you get things done when you need to.
- Cross-platform access: Being able to use a to-do list app anytime, anywhere is important. For example, you may use Apple devices at home but have Windows PC at work. This is when cross-platform access is key.
TickTick may not be as widely known as similar apps, but if you want a free task list tool with great features, this is one to check out. The app offers multiple lists so that you can separate tasks for work, school, and home. You can also check your daily schedule in calendar view and plan your whole day.
TickTick notable features:
- Quick Due Dates let you pick from options like today, tomorrow, or next Monday. But, you can also choose a specific date and time.
- Custom reminders and repeating tasks are ideal for to-dos you take care of regularly. Each includes complete flexibility for the exact days, dates, and times you need.
- The Pomo Timer feature is perfect for those who use the pomodoro method for time management. Set up the duration, short and long breaks, and an automatic start.
- Shared lists help you to collaborate with others on tasks. Whether it’s a team in your office or family at home, share lists to get things done together.
- The Achievements section shows you how well you are doing and your task completion rate. This works well if you use the app to track goals as well as to-dos.
TickTick’s long list of features that goes beyond those notable ones above make it a terrific free task list app. Give it a try and see what you think!
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Android, Android Tablet, Android Wear, Windows (15-day trial), Chrome, Firefox, and the web
- Cost: Free with an option to upgrade to a subscription plan that includes monthly and timeline views, sub-task reminders, Siri integration, and more.
Any.do is a great task list app for those visual thinkers. You can group your tasks by list and then easily view those lists in a grid format. Once you open a list, check out tasks due today, tomorrow, upcoming, or someday, depending on the due dates you assign.
Any.do notable features:
- Any.do Moment is a feature that lets you plan your entire day quickly. View your to-dos and then decide when to schedule them.
- Include media like images, take photos, record video, and use the microphone for audio notes.
- Share and assign tasks to coworkers, family members, or fellow students so that everyone takes care of their to-dos.
- Connect your calendar so that you can manage your tasks and events all in one app.
- Customize your settings for week start day, the app badge, sounds, syncing, and the default list and calendar.
Any.do makes planning your day quick and easy. Adding tasks and customizing them to fit your needs couldn’t be simpler.
- Availability: iPhone, Android, Chrome, and the web
- Cost: Free with an option to upgrade to a subscription plan that includes location-based reminders, customizable recurring tasks, unlimited attachments, and more.
Swipes lets you use simple gestures to take care of your to-dos. Swipe right to mark a task complete or left to snooze it for later. The app has a super clean interface and is perfect for those who like a fast way to manage their to-dos
Swipes notable features:
- Customize your snoozes to choose exactly when to complete that task. Pick from later, evening, tomorrow, or next week. You can also set an exact date and time with the Pick A Date.
- Create multiple Workspaces (tags) to organize your tasks by work, home, school, or whatever you need.
- Adjust the settings for items like a light or dark theme, the location for new tasks, daily or weekly reminders, in-app sounds, and integrations with Evernote and Gmail.
- Add Action Steps, Tags, and Notes to tasks for those projects with various parts and pieces.
- Use it on Apple Watch to create tasks, mark them complete, and snooze them right from your wrist.
Swipes is one of the clearest and easiest free apps for managing your to-dos. You have an intuitive interface mixed with the flexibility to get things done your way for each task.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Android, Mac, and the web
- Cost: Free with an option to upgrade to Swipes Plus (currently in development).
Tackle your to-dos with these free task list apps
You can certainly find many additional free apps on the App Store for managing your tasks. Wunderlist is a good option as long as Microsoft keeps it alive. Todoist and 2Do are also great apps, but you have to pay to use task reminders and alerts.
These three options above give you those essential features you need at no charge. So, they are definitely worth your time. Do you use one of these apps to manage your tasks or do you have a different free app that you swear by?