You can manage what email addresses are used for iMessage and FaceTime, and you can even add or remove email addresses that you can use for sending and receiving messages and calls. In this tutorial, we show you how to add another email address to iMessage and FaceTime on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
How to add a new email to iMessage and FaceTime
You may wish to add a new email address to iMessage and FaceTime for several reasons. One of the most important that I know of is controlling who gets what email address.
For example, you may have a dummy email address that you can use for Craigslist ads so that you can give that Craigslist user your dummy email address instead of your real one. Alternatively, you might just want to keep people from getting your actual phone number and utilize email addresses instead.
Whatever the case, here is how you add a new email address to iMessage and FaceTime.
On iPhone and iPad
1) Open Settings and tap your name from the top.
2) Tap Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
3) Tap Edit next to Contactable At.
4) Next, tap Add email or phone number > Add an Email Address.
5) Type your email address and tap Next.
6) Copy the code you receive in your email and enter it here. That’s it. You have added a new email to your Apple ID.
In a few minutes, you should see a popup on all your Apple Devices saying: Add “TheNewEmailYouAdded@email.com” for iMessage and FaceTime. This email address was recently added to your Apple ID “YourApple@gmail.com”. Tap Yes to add this recently added email to your iMessage and FaceTime.
In case you do not see the popup, or to ensure all settings are correct, follow these steps after waiting for a few minutes:
1) Go to iPhone Settings and tap Messages.
2) Tap Send & Receive and check this new email under:
- You Can Receive iMessages To And Reply From – If you want other people who have this email to iMessage you.
- Start New Conversations From – If you wish to start all your new iMessage conversations from this email. The recipient, on the other side, will only see this email and not your phone number or other emails.
If you want to change your email address from which iMessages are sent from, choose that email under “Start New Conversations From.”
3) For FaceTime, tap FaceTime in Settings and check the new email under:
- You Can Be Reached By FaceTime At – Now, people who have this email can FaceTime you.
- Caller ID – If you set the new email as the caller ID, the recipient will see this email and not your phone number or any other email when you FaceTime them.
The new email or phone number you add is attached to your Apple ID. In other words, it’s account-specific and not device-specific. Thus, after you follow the above steps to add a new email to iMessage and FaceTime on your iPhone, the same will reflect on all your Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) with the same Apple ID. All you need to do is ensure this new email is checked for iMessage on Mac or not.
That being said, if you’re seeing any error on your iPhone, find it comfortable to make these changes from your Mac, or only own a Mac and not an iPhone, follow these steps.
Here’s how to add a new email to iMessage and FaceTime on Mac:
1) Click and choose System Preferences.
2) Click Apple ID.
3) From the left sidebar, click Name, Phone, Email.
4) Click the tiny plus button (+).
5) Type the new email you want to add and click Next.
6) Copy the code you receive in your email and enter it here to complete the verification.
That’s all. You have successfully added a new email to your Apple ID. Now, this email is ready to be used in iMessage and FaceTime. Shortly, you should see an alert asking if you would like to use this new email for iMessage and FaceTime. Click Yes.
If you don’t see the alert, or to ensure everything is in order, follow these steps after a few minutes:
1) Open the Messages app and press Command + Comma (,).
2) Click iMessage from the top.
3) Select this new email under “You can be reached for messages at” and “Start new conversations from.”
4) Open the FaceTime app and press Command + Comma (,). Next, make sure this new email is checked under “You can be reached for FaceTime at” and “Start new calls from.”
New email added to iMessage and FaceTime
This is how you can add another email address to iMessage and FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
Because people often have multiple email addresses, it’s a great way to keep people from getting your most personal contact information. Instead, you can give them an email address you don’t care about as much as your main one.
If you don’t want to use this new email in iMessage or FaceTime, you can uncheck it (in Settings > Messages/FaceTime) or remove it entirely from your Apple ID (Settings > your name > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > Edit > red minus button > Delete).
Do you have a reason to use multiple email addresses with your iMessage account?
Other related tutorials: