iMessage, one of the most popular features on the iPhone, allows you to keep in touch with your friends, family and co-workers whether you have a cellular connection or connected to WI-Fi. iMessage uses iCloud to stay spread out across all of your iOS devices and Macs, and utilizes not only your primary iPhone number, but also your email address(es).
You can manage what email addresses are allowed to be used for iMessage, and you can even add or remove email addresses that you can use for sending and receiving message.
In this tutorial, we’ll be showing you how you can add another email address to iMessage.
Adding a new email to iMessage in iOS
There are a number of reasons that you may wish to add a new email address to iMessage. One of the most important that I know of is so that you can control who gets what email address.
For example, you may have a dummy email address that you can use for Craigslist ads so that you can give that Craigslist user your dummy email address instead of your real one. Alternatively, you might just want to keep people from getting your actual phone number, and utilize email addresses instead.
Whatever the case may be, here is how you add a new email address to iMessage in iOS:
1) Open the Settings app and navigate to Settings > General > Messages > Send & Receive.
2) Tap on the blue Add Another Email… button that appears under the You can be reached by iMessage at header.
3) Type in the email address you want to use for iMessage and tap on the Return key on the keyboard.
4) The same button will now appear under the Star new conversations from header. Tap on the blue Add Another Email… button once again to add it here as well.
5) Tap on the Return key on your keyboard once again, and you will be asked to sign in to your Apple ID to verify. On that prompt, tap on the Settings button.
6) Now go to the inbox of the email you added and you will soon see a verification email. Click on the blue Verify Now button.
7) This will redirect you to a page where you need to sign in with your Apple ID, so go ahead and sign in:
8) After you sign in correctly, you’ll be told that the addition of the new email was a success – congratulations, you’re done!
Note: If you have two-step authentication enabled, you will be unable to add email addresses to iMessage from the Settings app on your iOS device and will have to do it online from the Apple ID management web page instead.
Because people often have multiple email addresses, this is a great way to keep people from getting your most personal contact information. Instead, you can give them an email address that you don’t really care about as much as your main one.
- How to turn iMessage read receipts on or off
- How to bulk delete attachments from the Messages app in iOS
Do you have a reason to use multiple email addresses with your iMessage account? Share why below!