Thursday, Vimeo pushed a significant update to its free of charge app in the App Store which lets you record, upload and share high-quality, ad-free clips on the service.
The new app packs updated navigation tools, has richer uploading options and sports a brand new player with support for 4K streaming and enhanced Picture-In-Picture viewing on compatible devices such as the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
Search is now faster than ever and you can browse new curated categories like Animation, Documentary, Travel and more. Saving videos to watch offline is now easier than before, you can now upload clips from your smartphone and tablets and more.
According to TechCrunch, the refreshed app now surfaces video recommendations and the best videos across sixteen different genres, so you’ll always find something interesting to watch.
Video recommendations are available in the main interface and through an overhauled player. With iOS 9 on compatible iPads, videos can be enjoyed in Picture-In-Picture mode while browsing through other parts of the application.
Oh, and the app now integrates with iOS 9’s Spotlight Search.
Vimeo today has over 45 million users and 213 million monthly uniques. Clips posted to the service are ad-free.
Vimeo 6.0 changelog
Here’s everything new in Vimeo 6.0:
- Super fresh design—It’s easy on the eyes and even easier to use thanks to new navigation tools.
- Hot new player—Stream HD (and even 4K) videos in even more ways with picture-in-picture viewing, recommendations for what to watch next and simpler commenting on compatible devices like iPad Pro.
- A+ uploading—Upload videos more quickly, set your privacy and manage settings.
- More to love—Browse human-curated categories like Animation, Documentary, Travel, etc. to discover amazing new videos.
- Watch videos, sans Wi-Fi—Saving videos to watch offline (and removing them from your playlist) is even easier.
- More info about videos— Learn more about the stuff you’re watching (before you watch it).
- Upload anywhere, watch everywhere—Enjoy Vimeo on both mobile and tablet.
- Speedier searching—Find exactly what you’re looking for, without the wait.
“More wonderful Vimeo things especially for mobile are on the horizon,” writes the company.“ Keep an eye out, but remember to wear sunglasses — you shouldn’t stare directly at the sun.”
As mentioned, Vimeo is now fully iOS 9 and iPad Pro-compatible.
Vimeo requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOs 7.0 or later. The app is localized in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish.