Twitterrific 5, The Iconfactory’s freemium Twitter client for iOS and OS X platforms, has received its iOS 9-focused update this morning.
The app is now fully optimized for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices running iOS 9 and supports new Slide Over and Split View multitasking modes on compatible iPads. If you own an iPad Air 2 or an iPad mini 4, you can now run Twitterrific and another app side-by-side in iOS 9’s new Split View mode.
This is a great feature as you can now pin Twitterrific on the right and configure it to use Safari as your browser instead of in-app. In addition to iOS 9-specific support, this edition of Twitterrific includes other changes and improvements listed further below.
Quick Reply and more
Taking advantage of new APIs in iOS 9, Twitterrific now supports Quick Replies directly from the notification banner for alerts with @mentions. Support for sending and receiving long Direct Messages has been implemented as well and you can now quickly change accounts by swiping up or down on your timeline with two or three fingers
Twitterrific 5.13.2 changelog
Here’s what’s new in this edition of Twitterrific:
- Support for iPad split screen and slide over multitasking on iOS 9
- Reply to mention push notifications from notification center on iOS 9
- Send and receive long direct messages
- Swipe up or down on your timeline with two or three fingers to quickly change accounts
- Tweets that contain only an image no longer have a stray blank line
- Improved reliability when restoring scroll position to the marker
- A local push notification is generated if an action fails while the app is in the background
- Unread tweets indicator no longer counts muted tweets
- More responsive when switching between accounts
- Improved VoiceOver accessibility when using the pinned sidebar in landscape
- VoiceOver can now open quoted tweets
- VoiceOver’s focus on tweets should be more stable
- Links to gofundme.com now generate a thumbnail image
- Various performance improvements
- Streaming your timeline should no longer show irrelevant tweets
- Fixed a bug that would prevent background refresh from working
- Scrolling timelines when your device has no signal no longer flashes the loading indicator
- Fixed a bug that caused certain links in tweets to open the wrong link
- Fixed a layout bug when taking a photo while composing a tweet and rotating device to landscape
- Improved reliability when translating tweets
- Scrubbing old-fashioned GIFs works again
- The pull-to-refresh control should no longer disappear and never come back
- Background overlay behind modal popups no longer occasionally disappears while the popup is open
- Timelines are no longer accidentally circumventing scroll acceleration
- VoiceOver can no longer focus on things that are behind modal popups such as compose or profile views
- VoiceOver no longer reads muted tweets
- Scrolling the timeline with VoiceOver should no longer randomly trigger a timeline refresh
A freemium app, Twitterrific provides basic features at no charge.
Additional capabilities such as advertising removal, push notifications and tweet translation are locked behind In-App Purchases.
A 7.7-megabyte download, Twitterrific 5 requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 8.2 or later. The app is localized in English only and fully optimized for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
It also includes a nicely done Apple Watch app with an informative glance offering updates on important Twitter activity.