RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad just hit the App Store. This popular construction and management videogame franchise that simulates amusement park originally management debuted on Windows PCs back in 1999.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 released on Windows more than a decade ago (it dropped on October 26, 2004) and today’s release has finally brought the classic strategy simulation title to the iOS platform.
What’s this all about?
Ported over to iOS by Frontier Developments Ltd., RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 incorporates touch controls and includes all eighteen scenarios from the original PC game. Managing your own roller coaster park requires you to overcome day-to-day challenges such as changing weather patterns, demanding guests who always want more and more.
The happier your guests are, the more in-game revenue you’ll earn from them. And the more in-game money you have, the better as you’ll be able to advance your amusement parks with additional attractions, refreshment stands and other perks.
After you’ve played through all of the included missions, you can custom-design your own generic theme park without restriction in Sandbox mode, or take advantage of built-in designs such as Generic, Spooky, Western, Adventure and Sci-fi.
As you can see for yourself, graphics are top-notch.
You can move your view around, zoom in on every detail using fully controllable cameras and even jump into the front seat to experience the ride yourself with “the jaw-dropping Coaster Cam.”
Developers listed the following highlights in release notes:
- Create your ultimate theme park in stunning 3D.
- Let your imagination run free in Sandbox mode.
- Play through all 18 scenarios from the original PC game.
- Watch your guests react to your park as you try to make them happy.
- Happy guests earn you more in-game money to build out your parks even more.
- Design your parks using 5 fun themes: Generic, Spooky, Western, Adventure and Sci-fi.
- See every spine tingling detail with fully controllable cameras.
- Grab a front seat for the ride of your life with the jaw-dropping Coaster Cam.
- Cope with challenging objectives, changing weather patterns and enjoy beautiful vistas, sunsets, moonlight and more.
Unsure if this strategy simulation is for you?
Check out a review by Jeff Byrnes of AppAdvice.
As mentioned before, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is a premium release without dreaded In-App Purchases. In fact, developers proudly mention this in iTunes release notes, saying “With a new mobile-friendly UI, the creativity, depth and sophistication of the classic PC game is all here – with NO in-app purchases.”
The 589-megabyte download requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 7.0 or later. Due to complex graphics, recommended hardware includes the iPhone 5s and later, the iPad Air/iPad mini 2 and later and sixth-generation iPod touch.
The game is optimized for native display resolution of the iPhone 5/5s/5c and localized in English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish