Facebook-owned Instagram on Monday announced a brand new mobile application called Layout, dedicated to making interesting photo collages.
Layout from Instagram is rolling out today for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices. The app will be available as a free download in the App Store. Currently only available for iOS, Layout will be available for Android in the coming months.
Layout, as the name suggests, lets you easily combine multiple photos into a single image. “It’s fun, it’s simple and it gives you a new way to flex your creativity,” says the firm.
Upon opening the app, you’ll be greeted with thumbnails of custom layouts you can use as a starting point. You can import photos from your iOS Camera roll to use in a collage, or take snaps as you go using the Photo Booth feature.
“Tap it to start a countdown and capture photos that you’ll instantly see in a layout,” reads the description. There’s also a Faces feature that shows you all the photos in your Camera roll that feature people, which makes it easier to find the photos you want.
Customizing layouts is as easy as dragging and dropping photos to rearrange them. You can crop your photos using pinch to zoom or pull the sides of a photo to adjust its size.
“Then flip and rotate your photos to create cool arrangements and mirror effects,” says Instagram.
Again, Layout is rolling as we speak and these things usually take anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours to propagate through Apple’s iTunes servers globally so try again if you don’t see the app yet via the below link.
Instagram Layout highlights:
- Re-mix up to 9 of your photos at a time to create fun, personalized layouts.
- Use the Faces tab to quickly find photos with people in them.
- Capture the moment in Photo Booth mode with quick, spontaneous shots.
- Save your layouts to your camera roll and share them seamlessly to Instagram or other networks.
- Easily see the last 30 photos you’ve selected in the Recents tab.
- Pair your layouts with Instagram’s filters and creative tools afterwards to make them stand out even more.
- Download and start creating immediately. No signup or account required—and no clutter breaking up your flow.
More information on Layout is available in Instagram’s Help article. The 4.8-megabyte app requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 7.0 or later.