2K games this morning released XCOM: Enemy Within for iOS, an expansion for its popular turn-based military sim XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Fans of the franchise will recognize the title, as it was released to PCs and consoles around this time last year.
2K is calling Enemy Within a “standalone expansion” due to the fact that it features the core gameplay of Enemy Unknown, and builds on its storyline, but it’s a completely separate app. You do not need one of the games installed in order to play the other.
Here are some of the new features and content:
- New Soldier Abilities: Build new base facilities to unlock unearthly new capabilities for XCOM’s soldiers. The Genetics Lab will allow soldiers to receive powerful genetic modifications, and the Cybernetics Lab allows soldiers to use devastating mechanized cybersuits in battle.
- New Weapons and Equipment: Give your operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from your engineering team and the Foundry.
- New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from two new alien types and a deadly new organization known as EXALT.
- New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield, research a new technology to unlock its power, and use it carefully back at base to unlock new upgrades and weaponry.
- New Story Elements: Investigate a terrifying threat in an abandoned fishing village, and defend the XCOM headquarters from alien attack in a series of new plot-driven missions.
- New Multiplayer maps, units, and abilities: Create your custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate your opponent in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
And here is your customary launch trailer clip:
If you’re a fan of the XCOM franchise, or of the turn-based strategy/alien invasion genre, you’re probably going to want to add this game to your get list. Admittedly, it’s quite a bit more expensive than your average iOS game, but this is clearly not Flappy Bird.
It looks like 2K has pulled the original XCOM: Enemy Unknown from the App Store, seemingly positioning today’s release as more of a replacement or sequel. If you want to check it out, XCOM: Enemy Within is available for both iPhone and iPad for $12.99.