Today is Earth Day and the App Store is conveniently spotlighting some of the finest iPhone and iPad applications for going green, both free and paid ones. Whether you’re into alternative means of transportation, green living in general or environmental awareness, there’s an app for you out there among the more than one million software items available in the App Store.
“We’ve compiled a thought-provoking selection of films, books and podcasts to help you celebrate and care for the planet this Earth Day,” notes Apple. I’ve listed all of the featured apps right below…
Go green this Earth Day – and every day – with a wide range of helpful apps. Stay up to date on important environmental topics, and find easy and fun new ways to lead a more earth-friendly life.
The section highlights more than three dozen apps (scroll down for the full list), grouped into the following three descriptive categories: Environmental Awareness, Green Living and Alternative Transportation.
I’ve painstakingly listed all of Apple’s Earth Day apps along with their iTunes links below:
• JouleBug, Free
• #climate, Free
• Al Gore – Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis, $4.99
• National Parks by National Geographic, Free (In-App Purchases)
• Brian Cox’s Wonders of Life, $6.99
• Atlas by Collins, $1.99 (In-App Purchases)
• National Geographic Magazine, Free (In-App Purchases)
• Virtual Water, $1.99
• The Lorax – Dr. Seuss, $0.99
• PaperKarma, Free
• GoodGuide, Free
• Farmstand, Free
• eBay, Free
• Peerby, borrow the things you need from people in your neighborhood, Free
• yerdle – free online shopping, Free
• Shpock boot sale & classifieds app for beautiful things, Free
• Nifty, Free
• iRecycle, Free
• VineMarket.com, Free
• Seafood Watch, Free
• Leafully, Free
• Transit App, Free
• Uber, Free
• Zipcar, Free
• Bike Dept, Free
• Carma Carpooling, Free
• Spinlister, Peer to Peer Bike, Ski and Snowboard Rentals, Free
• Lyft, Free
• PlugShare, Free
• Automatic, Free
See something you like?
Also in Apple’s environmental push: Earth Day print ad that pokes fun of Samsung, iPad trade-ins now kicking off in Apple Stores, Apple retail store logos revamped with green leaves, free recycling of all devices in all Apple Stores around the world, Campus 2 video, a cool ‘Better’ video narrated by Tim Cook, a revamped Environmental Responsibility microsite, next-generation data centers and solar farms and more.