Vonage has released an interesting application in the App Store that offers incredibly cheap rates on voice calling with access to over 100 countries for international calling. The app, called Time to Call, works like popular VoIP services (Skype) to deliver pay per calls and discounted rates for iPhone users.
With Time to Call, you’ll be able to talk internationally for 15 minutes at no charge, and then be charged $1.99 for each 15 minute international call after the first.
Vonage is offering the free 15 minutes of calling to early adopters, so be sure to get the app now if you’re interested. Features include:
- Pay per call and talk for up to 15 minutes to 100 countries for $1.99 or less (excluding applicable taxes)
- For an additional 90+ countries, talk up to 15-minutes for $2.99 to $9.99 (excluding applicable taxes)
- Bill directly to your iTunes account
- Works on Wi-Fi® worldwide
- Also for use on high quality 3G networks in the U.S. and Canada
- Special bonus! For a limited time, unused minutes can be used for additional calls
- No need to be a Vonage home customer
Vonage actually offers a web tool to view the different calling plans and find what’s right for you. It doesn’t matter what iDevice you use with the app, because the service works through Wi-Fi. All billing will be sent to your iTunes account.
Internationally, a landline call through Skype costs 2 cents per minute, while a call to a mobile handset costs 27 cents per minute on a pay-as-you-go plan. This Vonage solution could be seen as a more attractive service for travelers, due to the fact that it doesn’t require a subscription or separate billing process.
What do you think of Vonage’s Time to Call app? Useful to you?