TransGaming, which specializes in video game portability technology, on Thursday released Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in the Mac App Store.
Originally developed by Kojima Productions and Platinum Games, Revengeance is technically still part of the Metal Gear universe, with one notable change: instead of the hide-and-seek approach that the original Metal Gear Solid popularized more than a decade ago, Revengeance files as a hack’n’slash game that puts you in the shoes of a cyborg ninja named Raiden.
Equipped with a fancy high-frequency katana blade, you’ll be slicing your way through the enemies amid a terrible conflict brewing between private military corporations (PMCs). The game is available in the Mac App Store for a promotional price of $24.99.
As the blurb has it, PMCs that had been supported and controlled by the Patriots have collapsed, spawning countless rogue entities with origins to larger criminal organizations.
Here’s an excerpted storyline:
These renegade PMCs employing cyborg technology have become increasingly more disruptive shifting policy and power at will. As a member of the peace-keeping PMC ‘Maverick Security’, Raiden lives by the mantra of protecting and saving lives.
But as the world plunges further into asymmetric warfare, the only path that leads him forward is rooted in resolving his past, and carving through anything that stands in his way.
Check out the official launch trailer below.
Graphics are top-notch, as the screenshots attest.
- The latest Metal Gear experience featuring an all-new style of frenetic action gameplay and central character, Raiden, a cyborg ninja who uses his High Frequency katana blade to cut through any thing that stands in his vengeful path.
- New game design, the birth of a new type of MG experience: Combining development powerhouses Kojima Productions and PlatinumGames together, MGR REVENGEANCE will offer a fast & fluid game style centered on katana-based combat within the Metal Gear universe.
- Advanced technology: Produced by a hybrid team of renowned developers, the in-game technology promises to push the boundaries of graphics, style and lightning-speed action gameplay.
- ‘ZanDatsu’ cut mechanic: Within the game world, players will be able to take advantage of what has been created- “an all-encompassing cutting plane in real time”. Cut anything, anytime, anywhere.
- Epic story in the vein of what MG is known and loved for: The game takes place after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4 where the world has fallen into chaos with cyborg crimes & terrorism running rampant in society. Delves into the continuing story of Raiden, a child-soldier turned cyborg ninja who’s origins are connected to both Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4.
And here’s IGN’s gameplay video.
The game is available for a limited-time promotional price of $24.99 for the next five days, after which time it will increase to the regular $29.99 price.
Note that the installer comes in at a whopping 25.79 gigabytes so you’re going to need a fairly speedy broadband connection to download it.
System requirements include an Intel-based Mac running a Core i-series processor, 4GB of RAM, 512MB of video memory, AMD HD4870 / NVIDIA 650M / Intel Iris graphics or better, 27 gigabytes of free hard drive space and OS X 10.9.2 or later.