The Apple TV+ comedy lineup is expanding soon with a new satirical news show from comedian Jony Stewart that will focus on current affairs. Ahead of the show’s premiere next Thursday, Stewart has revealed additional tidbits about the project.
- “The Problem With Jon Stewart” is launching on Apple TV+ on September 30
- Ahead of the premiere, Stewart gave an interview to The Hollywood Reporter
- The project marks his hotly anticipated return to TV
Jon Stewart talks about his upcoming Apple TV+ show
Stewart sat down for an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, in which he revealed various tidbits about the show.
- “The Problem With Jon Stewart” was approximately two years in the making
- Stewart first shared info on it with ex-HBO head Richard Plepler in November 2019
- Plepler brought the show to Apple TV+ as the first project under his producing deal there
- Topics covered range from gun control to climate change and beyond
- Episode one centers on veterans who are being denied health care
That’s just a sample from a long interview that will pique your interest if you’re a fan of Stewart’s work.
Indeed, what’s the problem with Jon Stewart?
The project files as Stewart’s long-expected return to TV after hosting “The Daily Show”, a satirical news program on Comedy Central, from 1999 to 2015. The man will of course host “The Problem With Jon Stewart”. Apple describes it as a show tasked with “taking a deep dive on the issues affecting us most” on its official Apple TV+ Press website.
“The Problem With Jon Stewart” is a multiple-season, single-issue series with Stewart in discussion with the people who are impacted by the issue — as well as those who have a hand in creating the impact. Together, they will discuss tangible steps that can lead to a solutionary path forward.
The series comes with a companion podcast featuring staff members from the show, more jokes, interviews with activists in the space, the facts on the issue and so on. New episodes of the podcast will be available weekly on Apple Podcasts.
The series itself will release new episodes every other week.
The show will be the first in what would become a string of projects co-produced by Apple TV+ and Jon Stewart (Apple signed a first-look deal with Stewart and his production company,
Watch “The Problem With Jon Stewart” from Thursday, September 30 on Apple TV+.