Shazam, the Apple-owned music identification service, has picked up a handy Home screen widget on the iPhone and iPad in the latest refresh to the software on the App Store.
“Add Shazam’s widget to your Home screen and you’ll see your recent song history at a glance or be able to Shazam in an instant,” according to releases notes for Shazam 14.4 for iOS.
And this is what it looks like.
It comes in three sizes
The widget is available in three sizes:
- Small: A 2×2 widget showing the last identified song.
- Medium: A 4×2 widget listing the last three tracks found.
- Large: A 4×4 widget listing the last four tracks.
Because the widgets in iOS 14 are not fully interactive, tapping anything here will simply take you to the relevant spot within the Shazam app. The widget us unavailable in Shazam Encore, which used to be a paid edition of Shazam before the Apple acquisition in December 2017.
How to use the Shazam widget
You can add one or more Shazam widgets to the Home screen like you normally would:
- Touch and hold an empty area on the Home screen until the apps jiggle.
- Tap the “+” in the upper-left corner.
- Select the Shazam widget from the list.
- Swipe left and right to choose from three widget sizes.
- Finally tap “Add Widget” to add a widget in the chose size to the Home screen.
- Tap “Done” to finish making changes.
If the widget doesn’t show up upon updating your copy of Shazam for iOS to the most recent version available in the App Store, then be sure to launch the app after updating it. Doing so shall give the operating system a chance to recognize and list the new widget in the interface.