In addition to the new Series 6 Apple Watch, Apple also unveiled another wearable today: the Apple Watch SE. True to rumors, the device features previous generation technology and a more digestible price tag. It starts at just $279.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Retina display with thin borders and curved corners that is 30% larger than Series 3.
- S5 SiP (system on a chip) dual-core processor 2x faster than Series 3.
- Built-in speaker and microphone.
- Bluetooth 5.0 support.
- Emergency SOS w/ Fall Detection
- Ambient noise detection w/ decibel alert
- Compass w/ always-on altimeter
- High and low heart rate notifications, irregular heart rhythm notifications
- Works with the new Solo Loop, Braided Solo Loop and Leather Link bands
- Cellular options available
So what you’re really missing out on here is obviously the blood oxygen sensor and ECG, the new S6 chip, the U1 chip and the always-on display. And obviously you don’t get the metal finish options from the more premium models.
Apple Watch SE is available in 40mm and 44mm display sizes, and you can choose to go with or without a built-in cellular chip. Pricing gets a bit confusing because it depends on the band, display size and cellular option you want.
- 40mm GPS w/ Solo Loop strap $279
- 44mm GPS w/ Solo Loop strap $309
- 40mm GPS + Cellular w/ Solo Loop strap $329
- 44mm GPS + Cellular w/ Solo Loop strap $359
It looks like some models are available to order today, but they aren’t shipping until later this month.