Welcome to Accessory Spotlight, a weekly column where we highlight an accessory that we find to be incredibly useful, a fantastic value, or both. This week we’ve selected Satechi’s Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter V2. There are obviously dozens of USB-C hubs out there, but we like this one for its build quality and wide variety of ports.
What you need to know
- USB-C Power Delivery – includes enhanced USB-C PD charging protocol for more efficient charging speeds and power management. Max is 60W, which is what you need to charge a 13-inch MacBook Pro.
- Dual Card readers – features dual micro and SD card readers for simultaneous read/write speeds of up to 104 Mb/s.
- Dual USB-A ports – for all of your older accessories that you don’t want to buy USB-C adapters for.
- 4K over HDMI support – enjoy crisp, high-definition display on HDMI-enabled monitors, up to 4K resolution at 30Hz.
- Compatibility – works with most USB-C models of the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iPad Pro, as well as a number of other USB-C laptops and devices.
To be clear, with this adapter you can plug in 2 USB-A devices, an external HDMI device and the charging USB-C cable, all into your laptop or tablet while taking up just a single USB-C port. I had the first version of the hub and used it for years on my MacBook Pro. It never overheated and I never had a port fail, so it’s easy for me to recommend.