The Apple TV+ video-streaming service has been available to the general public since November 1, 2019 through the company’s TV app across Apple hardware, compatible smart TV sets from major television vendors and in a web browser via the web interface at tv.apple.com.
If you’ve been wondering whether you should give Apple TV+ a chance, Apple provides a risk-free 7-day free trial. Additionally, Apple TV+ is free for 12 months for those who purchase a new Apple device. The service costs $5 per month after a 7-day free trial.
Here’s what you get with your subscription.
About your Apple TV+ subscription
Here’s what’s included in your subscription:
- Widely available: Apple TV+ is available in over 100 countries and regions.
- Apple Originals: Stream Apple’s original TV shows, movies and documentaries, with new content arriving on a monthly basis (visit Apple’s website for show lineup).
- No ads: Apple TV+ does not interrupt your shows with annoying advertising.
- 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision video: All of the shows and movies available on Apple TV+ are streamed in 4K resolution with high dynamic range (HDR) color or Dolby Vision.
- Dolby Atmos sound: As per Apple’s press release announcing Apple TV+ availability, “most titles” available on the service also offer Dolby Atmos sound.
- Offline playback: Apple TV+ episodes and whole movies can be downloaded to watch offline on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. Offline playback is unsupported on Apple TV because it’s a streaming device.
- International subtitles: Apple has subtitled and/or dubbed its shows in nearly 40 languages, including subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing (SDH) or closed captions. Apple originals are also available with audio descriptions in eight languages.
- Personalization: The TV app sports movie and show suggestions picked just for you. The more you watch Apple TV+, the more relevant suggestions you’ll get, not only from Apple TV+ but from all the different streaming apps you use.
- Pick up right where you left off: Start watching an Apple TV+ show or film on one device and pick up right where you left off on another.
- Family Sharing: Apple TV+ supports the Family Sharing feature allowing up to six family members to share one Apple TV+ subscription via their Apple ID, without revealing their passwords. Each account also gets its own viewing history and personalized recommendations in the TV app.
- Privacy: Apple TV+ adheres to Apple’s privacy principles. Your watch history, what you like and dislike and other preferences will never be sold to third-parties.
Further details about Apple TV+ are available on Apple’s website.
Need help? Ask iDB!
If you like this tutorial, pass it along to your friends and leave a comment below.
Got stuck? Not sure how to do certain things on your Apple device? Let us know via email@example.com and a future tutorial might provide a solution.
Submit your own how-to suggestions via firstname.lastname@example.org.