Sid Meier’s excellent Civilization VI for iPhone and iPad is free to try for the first 60 turns. To get the most out of it, however, you have to download the optional expansion packs, of which there are six and none of them comes cheap. Thankfully, developer Aspyr Media is temporarily offering all six expansion packs free of charge through the rest of December.
Catch 22: the content packs are not being made available to download for free all at once as you basically must grab each freebie on its designated discount date.
Here’s the full schedule:
- $4.99 Poland Civilization & Scenario Pack: free from December 20-22
- $4.99 Vikings Scenario Pack: free from December 22-24
- $4.99 Australia Civilization & Scenario Pack: free from December 24-26
- $8.99 Persia and Macedon Civilization & Scenario Pack: free from December 26-28
- $4.99 Nubia Civilization & Scenario Pack: free from December 28-30
- $8.99 Khmer and Indonesia Civilization & Scenario Pack: free from December 30 – January 1
I asked Siri to remind me to download each expansion pack on the day it’s schedule to drop down to zero bucks to make sure I don’t forget about them, and so should you.
Save a cool $38 by getting Civilization VI’s content packs for free through the rest of the month
Civilization VI is not just a premium turn-based strategy game but one of the very best iOS games, period. It takes full advantage of the power of your iPhone and iPad and has a touch-optimized user interface that makes playing such a complex strategy game rather enjoyable.
Here’s an overview of the game’s key features:
- Expansive empires—See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
- Active research—Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment and discover new cultures.
- Dynamic diplomacy—Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life to late game alliances and negotiations.
- Combined arms—Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
- Local multiplayer—In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, you can cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
- A Civ for all players—Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
Although a high-powered iPad is required to play, there need to be more games like Civilization VI on iOS with feature parity to the Mac and Windows versions. Any iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 or 2017 iPad and newer will run the game just fine, as will any iPhone from iPhone 7 onward.