Apple has released iOS 12 beta 3 for developers. The software update arrives two weeks after the second beta was released. Developers can get the update from Apple’s site or over-the-air (OTA).
iOS 12 beta 3
- Clear All swipe action for Lock screen notifications
- An overhauled FaceTime picker
- Voice Memos has a redesigned iPad interface
- Apple Maps shows richer, more detailed maps in the San Francisco Bay Area. This fresh look is expected to be extended elsewhere prior to the official release of iOS 12.
- Location sharing details have been moved from the Privacy section in the Settings app to a location in a user’s profile, next to iCloud settings.
- Apple Watch app now includes only the Siri face as a new watch face.
- The companion Watch app on iPhone now lists apps that work with the Siri face.
- New Activity app stickers have been introduced.
From the release notes:
- [NEW] To improve security, iOS 12 beta may require you unlock your passcode-protected iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in order to connect it to a Mac, PC, or USB accessory.
- [NEW] If you use iPod Accessory Protocol (iAP) USB accessories over the Lightning connector (such as CarPlay, assistive devices, charging accessories, or storage carts) or you connect to a Mac or PC you might need to unlock your device to recognize the accessory. If you don’t unlock your device, it won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and it won’t charge. Note that you don’t need to unlock your device to charge using an Apple USB power adapter.
- [RESOLVED] Weather widget fixed from Beta 2.
- [RESOLVED] Updating to iOS 12 beta through iTunes is resolved
- [RESOLVED] Skype/ Taobao/Twitter issues fixed
- [RESOLVED] Playback might not pause when only one of the AirPods is removed from your ears.
- [RESOLVED] SMS and Phone Call spam classification extensions don’t load and display a black screen
- [RESOLVED] FaceTime might unexpectedly quit on launch.
- [RESOLVED] If a user attempts to enable a SIM PIN the iOS device will lose cellular service.
- [RESOLVED] Voicemail notifications might be inconsistent and not appear when the device is locked.
- [RESOLVED] When Siri’s language is set to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean it isn’t possible to set up “Hey Siri”.
- [BUG] GPS works fine in Apple Maps but is wonky in Google Maps (presumably in other third-party apps as well)
- [BUG] Use only numbers when creating a Screen Time passcode or it might become impossible to enter the passcode
- [BUG] Fortnite might quit unexpectedly
- [BUG] Netflix might unexpectedly quit when downloading a video
- [BUG] Screen Time data might not synchronize across iOS devices.
- [BUG] “Picked Up Phone” statistics might be inflated due to data syncing from other devices signed into the same iCloud account.
- [BUG] When searching via Spotlight, internet results might unexpectedly be ranked higher than local results.
- [BUG] Voice Memos don’t sync to iTunes.
- [BUG] Wallet might unexpectedly quit on launch.
Be sure to check our Twitter account for the latest finds in iOS 12 beta 3.
First announced on June 4, iOS 12 includes under the hood improvements and new features to boot.
ARKit 2 brings new tools to the platform, including native Adobe Creative Suite integration, and an all-new Measure app, while search refinements in the Photos app includes a new section called For You where you’ll find sharing suggestions.
Siri is also getting smarter in the update thanks to the introduction of a Workflow-like app.
Screen Time will help you keep track of how much time you and your kids are spending on iOS devices.
Apple’s expected to release iOS 12 alongside tvOS 12, watchOS 5, and macOS Mojave this fall.