Camera+, one of the longest-standing, most capable iPhone photography apps, has been rewritten from the ground up and getting a complete visual makeover with native RAW editor, the Lightbox integrated with your Photos library and other enhancements.
UPDATE: Camera+ 2.0 is now live on App Store.
While developers have been updating the iPhone app on a regular basis, the iPad edition has been languishing on the sidelines for years now and only receiving maintenance updates.
That, too, will change with the arrival of Camera+ 2, a universal app that gives iPhone and iPad owners the same features. Camera+ 2 is scheduled to launch next Tuesday, May 29, 2018.
For those wondering, the new app supports multitasking and drag and drop on iPad.
This lets you use the familiar, convenient iOS multitasking gestures of your iPad to work alongside other apps and easily transfer photos in or out of Camera+ 2.
Camera+ 2 includes the features we’ve come to love, including:
- Manual shooting for the ultimate control—Shutter speed, ISO and white balance can be selected using on-screen wheels and controls, for those occasions when you need precise control over your capture.
- RAW capture and editing for maximum flexibility—Enable RAW capture to get the exact image captured by the sensor at its full precision, to get the maximum flexibility while editing.
- Portrait and Depth capture to apply your edits selectively— In Portrait mode the depth information is saved alongside the image, so the adjustments in The Lab can be selectively applied to distant or close subjects.
- Slow shutter, now improved—Use the dedicated slow shutter mode for exposures of up to 30 seconds. Camera+ 2 will automatically adjust the sensitivity of the camera for long durations, and will show you an accurate preview while the capture is taking place.
- Shooting modes for every occasion—Use the Smile mode to allow Camera+ 2 to detect smiles and shoot for you, or the Stabilizer mode to shoot only when your iPhone is steady enough to produce a sharp picture. Slow Shutter, Burst and Timer complete our comprehensive offering of shooting modes for special purposes, or just for fun.
- Macro mode lets you see all the details—Bring close subjects to life with our exclusive Macro mode. No matter if you use it to highlight a feature of your subject or for artistic purposes, you’ll be delighted with the sharpness you’ll get.
As mentioned, Camera+ 2 now integrates its own Lightbox with your Photos library so you can now edit images in your Camera roll without having to import them into the app.
“We have achieved a fantastic integration with the photos you already have in your library,” developers note. “Instead of clunkily importing a photo you want to edit, doing your thing and saving it back, simply switch tabs and edit it right in place.”
By default, all the photos you take in Camera+ 2 still go into the Lightbox.
That said, the app now works equally well with the images you already have in your Photos library, without requiring that they be imported into the app. Simply flick the view to your Photos library instead of the Lightbox, then browse, manage and edit images in place.
Camera+ 2 is a new app without in-app purchases that will retail for $2.99. If you’re interested in it, pre-order Camera+ 2 now from App Store for just $1.99—a 50% launch discount.
Apple will charge you once Camera+ 2 is released, and before it is downloaded. Don’t worry, App Store will notify you when the app is available to download.