Thanks to iOS developer CoolStar, there’s a new jailbreak in town for all devices running iOS 11.0-11.1.2. Coined ‘Electra,’ this tool utilizes the same open-source tfp0 exploit released by security researcher Ian Beer toward the end of last year.
Just like the LiberiOS jailbreak tool released last year, Electra doesn’t install Cydia because it isn’t ready for iOS 11 devices just yet. Electra also excludes DPKG and APT, which are vital utilities that most jailbreakers rely on every day.
Given the circumstances, CoolStar says that Electra targets developers who want to begin updating their tweaks for iOS 11 ahead of the game. Everyday jailbreakers who only want to mod their device(s) with tweaks should probably hold off for now.
As the Electra website points out, the newfangled tool includes and excludes the following features:
- Cydia, DPKG and APT are NOT included
- GNU CoreUtilities are included
- Dropbear, SCP and an SFTP server are running on ports 22 and 2222
- Tweaks are installed in /bootstrap/Library/SBInject
- Themes are installed in /bootstrap/Library/Themes
- PreferenceLoader is configured to check /bootstrap/Library
- Tweaks that crash SpringBoard will cause the device to respring into Safe Mode
- All binaries must be signed using either jtool or ldid2
- Executables must be signed with the platform-application entitlement
- Binaries and libraries should be installed in /bootstrap/usr/
- An uninstall script is available at /bootstrap/unjailbreak.sh
(Note this will only uninstall Electra)
For now, those with vanilla iOS 11.1.2 devices should probably continue waiting until Saurik updates Cydia and Mobile Substrate for iOS 11. Once complete, Mobile Substrate for iOS 11 will utilize a dyld-hooking implementation rather than deploying a jailbreakd. Citing Saurik, these changes should make the software more reliable on iOS 11, among other things.
It shouldn’t be long now before a proper jailbreak surfaces. We can only recommend your continued patience.
Are you getting fired up about an iOS 11 jailbreak? Share in the comments below!