Nintendo is unleashing its new smartphone game upon App Store, Fire Emblem Heroes for iPhone. The free-to-download strategy role playing game comes with non-compulsory In-App Purchases as its main revenue model, allowing impatient players to buy Orbs for real cash rather than earn them through Story Maps.
“It is possible to play the game for free, but some features require the use of Orbs,” notes Nintendo.
Various booster items along with other upgrades can be bought via the In-App Purchase mechanism as well. It’s a staggered rollout so the game should first launch on the US and Canada App Store before expanding to other markets.
Fire Emblem Heroes combines strategy and role-playing features with deep tactical elements and depth. Players are tasked with saving the Askran Kingdom from takeover by an evil empire.
A world with two kingdoms: the Emblian Empire, which wishes to rule all worlds, and the Askran Kingdom, which stands in its way. You are a summoner with the special ability to call upon legendary Heroes from different Fire Emblem worlds. In order to save the Kingdom of Askr from destruction, join the Order of Heroes and face a never-ending challenge.
As you progress through the story, you will meet and bid farewell to many allies.
You will fight battles together with your favorite heroes, but don’t you worry about the potentially complex controls: Nintendo says that game mechanics have been specifically customized for touch screens and on-the-go gameplay.
Aside from summoning various characters from across the Fire Emblem universe, the game focuses on developing your heroes’ skills and on the battle maps that have been designed to specifically fit small screens.
In addition to the game’s Story Maps mode where you fight through enemy defenses to complete various objectives, there’s also an Arena mode where you fight against players from around the world to increase rankings, boost scores and earn exclusive upgrades.
Here are some of the highlights of the game:
- Epic quest—A world with two kingdoms: the Emblian Empire, which wishes to rule all worlds, and the Askran Kingdom, which stands in its way. You are a summoner with the special ability to call upon legendary Heroes from different Fire Emblem worlds. In order to save the Kingdom of Askr from destruction, join the Order of Heroes and face a never-ending challenge.
- Intense battles—Take part in strategic turn-based battles streamlined for on-the-go play with maps that fit in the palm of your hand. You’ll need to think hard about the advantages and disadvantages of each Hero’s weapon—and even evaluate the map itself as you battle. Lead your army with easy touch and drag controls, including the ability to attack by simply swiping an ally over an enemy.
- Original characters meet legendary Heroes—The game features numerous Hero characters from the Fire Emblem series and a few brand-new Heroes created by artist Yusuke Kozaki, known for his work on Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates. Some Heroes will fight at your side as allies, while others may stand in your way as fierce enemies to be defeated and added to your army.
- Many modes let you play again and again—In addition to the main story, there are many other modes where you can strengthen your allies, compete against other players, and more. Also, free and timely updates will continue to add new Hero characters, content, and other surprises to keep you engrossed with hours of additional gameplay.
- Story Maps—The story brings together new Hero characters along with familiar faces from the Fire Emblem series. Lead your army to victory to save the Kingdom of Askr.
- Training Tower—Engage in battle scenarios of varying difficulty that you can play over and over to earn rewards and experience (EXP) for your allies. Each time you take on these maps, the enemies and terrain change to offer a new challenge.
- Arena Duels—Fight against your rivals around the world. Your high score and ranking will determine your rewards—items that can increase your Heroes’ abilities.
- Hero Battles—Under Special Maps, discover various battle scenarios that are available for a limited time. Defeat the Heroes who oppose you to convince them to join you as an ally.
Like with Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes requires a persistent Internet connectivity to prevent piracy.
To learn more about the game, point your browser at fire-emblem-heroes.com.
As mentioned, Fire Emblem Heroes is launching today on iOS and Android as a staggered rollout so try again in a few hours if it’s not immediately available for download through your local App Store.
All told, the game should be available in 30 different countries by the end of the day. The full list of launch countries can be found within an “Availability by country” link in the top right corner of the official website.
Nintendo now has three smartphone games on App Store: Miitomo, Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes. Later this year, Animal Crossing will grace App Store, too. The Japanese gaming giant is set to launch another game during the year and has said recently that it intends to release two to three smartphone games every year.