Apple yesterday released the latest iOS 10.2 software update for public consumption. Being a second major update to iOS 10 following its debut in September of this year, iOS 10.2 brings out more than a dozen new features and enhancements for your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.
There’s Apple’s new channel guide app, named “TV”, 100+ new emoji, the Emergency SOS feature from the Apple Watch, options that let you preserve Camera settings, two new fullscreen effects for Messages, several improvements for the Music app and much more.
Our video editor Andrew O’Hara took iOS 10.2 for a spin to bring you his detailed overview of the biggest changes, improvements and new features in iOS 10.2. Give his hands-on video embedded below a quick watch, then head over to the comment section to share your own impressions.
Be sure to like, share and subscribe to iDownloadBlog on YouTube and don’t forget to turn on notifications for our channel so you get notified when we post new videos.
Here are Apple’s official iOS 10.2 release notes:
- Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
- Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
- Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
- Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
- Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
- Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
- Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
- Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
- Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
- Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
- Additional support for RAW digital cameras
- Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
- Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
- Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
- Stories you’ve saved for later now appear the new Saved section
- The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
- It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
- Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
- Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
- Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
- Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
- Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
- Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
- Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
- Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
- Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List
What’s your favorite new feature in iOS 10.2 so far, and why? Don’t be shy! Do chime in with your thoughts and observations down in the comments.