Starting with iOS 10, the ability to streamline your navigation experience by avoiding toll roads or highways was added to the Apple Maps app
Since nothing’s worse than being stranded on a toll road without any cash, it’s now a breath of fresh air to know you don’t need to download a third-party navigation app like Google Maps to avoid them.
There are two ways you can avoid toll roads in Apple Maps app: 1) from the Maps app itself, or 2) from the Settings app. We’ll show you both methods in this post.
Avoid toll roads from the Maps app
If you’ll be doing this from the Maps app itself, follow these steps.
1) Launch the Maps app on your iPhone and begin a navigation route to any start point and end point you want.
2) Once you see the overview of your road trip, drag up on the grabber on the the slide at the bottom of the screen.
3) Now you’ll see the options to avoid tolls and highways. To avoid toll roads, simply turn on the Tolls switch.
Apple Maps will now re-route your destination with your choice to avoid toll roads in mind.
Note: Because toll roads are typically designed to help save time during lengthy road trips, the ETA to get to your destination may increase with toll roads turned off.
Once satisfied, tap on the green Go button to begin navigating.
Enabling toll avoidance in the Settings app
Another way to avoid tolls while navigating in the Maps app will be found in the Settings app. You can follow these steps to do that.
1) Launch the Settings app on your iPhone and open the Maps preferences pane.
2) Next, tap Driving in the Directions section.
3) Once you’re in, turn on the Tolls toggle switch.
Now that you’ve disabled toll roads, you can be off to your destination and won’t have to frequently stop to spend your money at toll booths.
Have you tried the toll avoidance feature in Apple’s Maps app yet? How did it work for you? Let us know in the comments below!