Apple today announced the release of a brand new iPhone and iPod touch application aimed at musicians and songwriters: Music Memos. As its name suggests, Music Memos was designed to “make it easy for people to tap into their musical potential and create incredible music no matter where they are.”
With Music Memos, musicians and songwriters can capture, organize and develop their musical ideas on their iPhone.
“Musicians around the world, from the biggest artists to aspiring students, use Apple devices to create amazing music,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing. “The innovative new Music Memos app will help them quickly capture their ideas on iPhone and iPad whenever inspiration strikes.”
Inspired by Apple’s stock Voice Memos iOS app, Music Memos is packed with features for songwriting and developing musical ideas. The app lets you record any musical instrument through the iPhone’s built-in microphone in a high-quality, uncompressed format.
You can then name, tag and rate your recording. Voice Memos will even analyze rhythm and chords of acoustic guitar and piano recordings, and instantly add drums and a bass line that matches the feel of your song.
It supports basic notation that displays the chords that were played and iCloud features for keeping your recordings in sync across your devices.
Apple says that Voice Memos recordings can be imported in GarageBand or Logic Pro X and shared via email or through Apple Music Connect, SoundCloud or YouTube, all right from the app.
Music Memos highlights
Here are the key features of Music Memos:
Quickly capture musical ideas
- Easily record any musical idea using a simple interface
- Instantly listen to your recorded song ideas with a virtual drummer and bass player, who follow along like a live band in the room
- Adjust the groove and sound of the drum or bass using simple and intuitive controls to hear your song idea in different ways
- Tune your guitar with a built-in instrument tuner
Build a library of song ideas
- Name any song idea, or delete unwanted recordings
- Tag your song ideas to help you find them later using keywords like verse, chorus, mellow, energetic, or add your own custom tags
- Rate your song idea 1–5 stars to help you identify your favourites
- Supports iCloud Drive so your library of song ideas is always safe and available across all your iOS devices
View, edit and document your song ideas
- Automatically analyses the music you played and displays musical measures and suggested chord names
- Rename or provide further detail for any chord names throughout your song
- The drum and bass performances adapt immediately to match any chord and rhythm edits
- Trim away any unwanted parts from the beginning and end of your recording
- Keep track of comments, lyric ideas, alternative guitar tunings or capo position
Share your new song
- Use iCloud Drive to make your song ideas available across all your iOS devices
- Email any song idea to a friend to share your music, or to collaborate with other musicians
- Quickly open your idea in GarageBand for iOS to add more instruments and keep building your song
- Export a song idea to the Mac so you can work in GarageBand or Logic Pro X as a full multi-track production
- Share to SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music Connect*
*Requires Apple Music Connect account.
For more information about the app, visit apple.com/music-memos.
Music Memos requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 9.1 or later and is compatible with any iOS device from the iPhone 4s, fifth-generation iPod touch and iPad 2 onward.
The app is localized in English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.