TurboScan by Piksoft Inc., a small Bay Area company, has been available on the App Store for more than five years. Yesterday, they finally launched a free version which leaves no features behind so anyone can now experience the power of a high quality scanner in the palm of their hand, at zero cost.
Ranked #1 business app in the US App Store and with over three million existing users, this document and receipt scanner includes powerful features wrapped around an engaging interface.
Among them is one called SureScan 3x, a proprietary scanning mode which guarantees a clear quality scan by taking three pictures of the same document page and producing the best one.
As you can see for yourself, the app is neatly designed and easy on the eyes, but don’t let that fool you—this is a heavy-duty mobile document scanner. Brightness, rotation and color controls are just a tap away, all on one screen.
In addition to scanning documents captured through your iPhone’s camera, TurboScan allows you to import images from the Camera roll to scan, and then store them in high quality color or black and white.
The app auto-detects document edges, straightens the documents, eliminates shadows and automatically adjusts for a perfect contrast.
Email to Myself
Another interesting option of TurboScan is Email to Myself.
This feature converts scans into the PDF, JPEG or PNG format, without losing quality, making it easy and convenient to share your scanned documents with yourself and others using a predefined address. You can also upload scans to services like Evernote, OneDrive, Google Drive and more.
Once again, the free edition of TurboScan does not skimp on features. You have access to every feature like paid users, with one important distinction: the free edition restricts you to scanning and saving up to five documents.
This should be enough for new users to give TurboScan a go. If you decide that TurboScan is for you, a paid version with unlimited scanning and saving is just $2.99.
The app includes the following goodies:
- Automatic document edge detection and perspective correction
- Ultra-fast processing (under 4 seconds per page)
- SureScan mode for very sharp scans
- Document naming, storage inside the app and search
- Add pages anytime, reorder, and delete pages
- Copy pages to Clipboard and Paste
- “Email to myself” feature for quick emails
- Email document as PDF, JPEG or PNG, or save to camera roll
- Arrange multiple receipts or business cards on a PDF page
- Open PDFs or JPEGs in other apps like the free Dropbox app (or Evernote, SkyDrive, GoogleDrive app, etc) to send to clouds, or fax apps
- Printing via AirPrint
- Instant one-tap brightness, rotation, and color controls
- Compact attachments with adjustable size
Please note that TurboScan is not recommended for owners of the fourth-generation iPod touch or iPad 2 due to lower-resolution cameras on these devices.
TurboScan has a five-star rating based on approximately 16,000 ratings in the App Store. Both free and paid editions of TurboScan require an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 7.0 or later. The app is optimized for the iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus screen sizes to take full advantage of your larger-screened iPhone.