Available for pre-order since CES 2015, Insteon said today its hub with support for Apple’s HomeKit will begin shipping to retail stores early next month. Dubbed the Insteon Hub, the device can now be ordered at $149.99 through Amazon.com and via SmartHome.com.
Controlling HomeKit-enabled accessories away from home requires a hub in the form of a third-generation Apple TV with Apple TV software 7.0 or later, or a dedicated product like the Insteon Hub.
The appliance, along with a companion iPhone app, basically brings Insteon’s smart home products like switches, outlets, thermostats and light bulbs into the HomeKit ecosystem, when paired with the Insteon Hub.
The hub allows you to control smart home appliances from an iOS device, using Siri commands, configure a single device to turn on and off at dusk and dawn, create customized groups of devices that turn on and off at various times throughout the day and much more.
And like the company’s previous-generation Insteon Hub, the new appliance supports the Nest thermostat.
In addition, the new and redesigned Insteon+ for iPhone app works with any HomeKit-enabled product from other manufacturers, making it easy to control an entire connected home in one place. The app (requires iOS 8.1 or later) features brand new controls and has a simplified user interface, making it easy to add devices, rooms, zones and more in a straightforward manner.
The app lets you control a wide range of devices such as smart lights, appliances, door locks, garage doors and other HomeKit-certified hardware.
A list of compatible devices can be found here.
- Control HomeKit-enabled lights, door locks, color-changing bulbs, garage door openers, thermostats and any other HomeKit-enabled products
- Control Insteon switches, outlets, thermostats and more when paired with the HomeKit-enabled Insteon Hub
- Easily add devices with just a tap
- Create and manage rooms, zones and even multiple houses
- Schedule scenes and set repeats for day, week or date
- Dashboard view for quick visibility and control
- Quickly create powerful scenes that adjust multiple devices
With HomeKit, complex scenarios can be created to direct Siri, say, to “turn off downstairs lights.” The Insteon+ app supports the creation of these scenes that adjust multiple devices with advanced features like On Level and more.
Lastly, the new iOS app features a WatchKit component so you can monitor and control your home, keep an eye on sensors, look in on your Wi-Fi cameras, activate a scene with just a tap, control your ceiling fans, garage door, lights and more, all right on your wrist.
For more information visit insteon.com/applewatch.
Apple Watch app lets you control:
- Wall switches, dimmers and outlets
- Plug-in modules for lamps and appliances
- Ceiling fan controllers
- Garage door controller/sensor
- Sensors: leak, smoke/CO, door/window, motion
The Insteon Hub featuring HomeKit technology is available for purchase for $149.99 via SmartHome.com and Amazon.com and will be hitting retail stores early next month.
- Elgato unveils HomeKit-compatible smart devices for the connected home
- Ecobee announces HomeKit-enabled, Wi-Fi connected smart thermostat with Siri commands
- iHome launches smart plug receptacle with HomeKit, pre-orders beginning June 15