Need another fitness app to put on your iPhone? How about a gamefied fitness software which motivates you to get in shape by providing unlockable games to play? Enter Atari Fit.
I know what you’re thinking, Atari is a video game publisher. That was my first thought, too, and it seems Atari is keen to leverage the popularity of Apple’s HealthKit platform to attract fitness buffs to its classic games in some novel ways.
The app integrates with Apple’s Health app and fitness tracking wearables from the likes of Fitbit and Jawbone. There are over a hundred workout routines to choose from, including customizable programs for full-body workouts, running programs and conditioning routines.
Points earned from burning calories let you unlock additional fitness packages, or you can buy them through In-App Purchases. And as mentioned before, the app rewards your training by unlocking classic Atari games such as Pong, Super Breakout and Centipede.
Gamefied approach entails features like online leaderboards and a multiplayer mode allowing you to join a team and workout together, race against each other, track your stats as a group and encourage each other to workout.
In addition to HealthKit integration, the app can connect with Runkeeper or Facebook to receive useful data. Another type of progress rewards: Walgreens Balance Rewards loyalty program points.
Atari Fit highlights:
- Over 100 Exercises – Workouts include full-body circuits and running programs that are certified by Michael Porter, certified personal trainer and performance enhancement specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM). Unlock additional fitness routines with points earned from burning calories or through in-app purchases.
- Gamify Your Workout – Motivate and challenge yourself by following daily tips and a multitude of exercise routines or custom programs while tracking distance, speed, pace and calories burned.
- Fun Atari Games – Raise your fitness level and earn coins during workouts to unlock Atari classic games including Pong, Super Breakout and Centipede.
- Wearable Compatibility – Track wearable health and fitness devices such as Fitbit and Jawbone by connecting to Apple Health and earn in-game rewards.
- App Data Aggregator – Connect with Apple Health, Runkeeper or Facebook and receive useful data (weight, daily steps, exercises) while tracking exercises (sets, reps, weights) with a fully functional log-book – all helping to increase your Atari Fit experience level.
- Multiplayer – Play with friends all over the world anytime. Join a team and workout together or race against each other. Track your stats as a group and encourage each other to workout. Compete to become the fittest team of gamers worldwide!
- Online Leaderboards for Atari Classic Games – For the first time ever, Atari games included in the app will have leaderboards and users can rank their skills against others from around the globe.
- Social Features – Post accomplishments to Twitter and Facebook at the end of every workout, detailing achievements and personal bests and making fitness fun with friends. See your friends and encourage each other to workout.
- Walgreens Balance Rewards – Earn Walgreens Balance Rewards loyalty program points for participating in challenges that log steps taken. Points can be redeemed at Walgreens and Walgreens.com.
The 94-megabyte app requires an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 7.1 or later. Native iPad interface is not supported in this edition of Atari Fit.