Microsoft’s Xbox One companion app, SmartGlass, has been bumped to version 2.5 earlier today, bringing out a handful of new features that improve your living room experience and interactions with the console itself.
Most importantly, the app now features a remote control functionality similar to Apple’s free Remote software. But as Microsoft’s console lets you hook up a cable or satellite box to it, you can now basically channel surf from across the room using your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
The update is now live in the App Store and I have a full list of features for your right after the break…
The new OneGuide is now available on your iOS device so you can see all your TV and app channels in one place. Twitch is integrated, too, so if you’re a fan of user-recorded in-game videos, the app makes it easy discover and play Twitch broadcasts.
The new version of SmartGlass is now smart enough to compare your achievements against other players and it gives you access to new leaderboards on both game and details pages.
Xbox One SmartGlass 2.5 changelog:
• See all your TV and app channels in one place with the OneGuide
• Control your cable or satellite box and TV with a new universal remote control
• Compare achievements
• Discover and play Twitch broadcasts
• Game clips watched on SmartGlass now count toward total views
• Reorder your pins
• Filter saved game clips
• Get more types of notifications and manage them in Settings
• A redesign to Home makes it more engaging
• See new leaderboards on game and details pages
• General stability and polish improvements
• Bug fixes
The app is universal and requires iOS 6.0 or later.