Game-maker Ossian Studios has put one of its most popular titles, The Shadow Sun, on sale this week. The beautiful RPG, which we named one of our Apps of the Week back in December, is normally priced at $7.99, but for a limited time, you can snag the game for just $3.
For those unfamiliar with The Shadow Sun, it’s your standard RPG with customizable characters, skill-building and quests. But, developed by veterans of the Neverwinter Nights and Baldur’s Gate franchises, this game is anything but ordinary. Keep reading for a full overview…
From the App Store description:
With The Shadow Sun, Ossian Studios brings together all its expertise from working with Dungeons & Dragons and The Witcher in order to create a deep, story-driven RPG experience for iOS. Prepare yourself for visceral real-time combat, a gorgeously detailed world to adventure in, complex characters to interact with, and an epic tale of an ancient city held within the grip of a mysterious plague.
Enter a world that has felt an alien touch upon its sun. An ever-increasing shadow that creeps across the sun’s brilliant face, with consequences that are only now becoming horrifically apparent.
And some of the game’s top features:
- Explore over 70 unique areas and uncover 200+ unique items, hidden secrets, and ancient treasures.
- An original orchestral soundtrack and amazing soundscape will immerse you into this dark fantasy world.
- Create your own male or female character and customize their attributes and appearance.
- Choose from among 30 attacks, spells, and skills to suit your favourite play style, and develop those abilities exactly how you want as the game progresses.
- Solve quests in multiple ways and have new NPC dialogue options open up depending on your skills.
- Ally with one of four companions to adventure alongside you, each with their own personality and abilities, and win their friendship or suffer their disapproval depending on your choices.
- Adopt a faithful dog companion to fight by your side.
And finally a promotional gameplay clip:
To be honest, I’ve never played this game before, but when I came across the sale over at TouchArcade I had to check it out. I’m not typically one for RPG-type titles, but the production value and scope of this game are extremely impressive. It’s easily worth the original price, if not more.
If you’re interested, you can find The Shadow Sun in the App Store for $2.99 for a limited time. The app is universal, so it works on both the iPhone and iPad, and it supports several legacy models. There are a few in-app purchases available, but Ossian Studios says they’re purely optional.